Not getting The Speed That I am Paying For
kilowatt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Greetings all FIOS Internet users.

I had FIOS Internet installed at my house on March 8, 2014.  I bought the 50 MBPS download package.

Unfortunately, my highest download speed is about 28 MBPS.  Because I'm a computer whiz, I immediately realized what my problem is.  It's my router setup. 

The Verizon installers placed my router on a coffee table in my living room and then inserted a wireless USB card in to one of my computer's USB 2.0 ports.  However, my computer is located on the second floor of my house in my master bedroom and the router is located on the ground level of my house in my living room.

Instead of running an Ethernet cable from the router to my computer, the Verizon installers opted to go with a wireless installation.  I can run an Ethernet cable from my router to my computer by using the coax cable outlets located in every room of my house.  Of course, this will require many hours of work by me because I will have to pull the coax cable out of each outlet and substitute Ethernet cable or-- I can run an Ethernet cable from my router to the outside of my house and then run this cable to my master bedroom by drilling a hole in my bedroom wall..  I've course I will have to weather proof this outside cable.

If I do this, will my FIOS contract with Verizon be null & void?  I don't want to have any legal problems with Verizon but I sure as heck don't want to pay for 50 MBPS if I'm only getting 28 MBPS.

Please advise!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Not getting The Speed That I am Paying For
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I can't answer the question why the installer did what he did.  If you have a complaint about that it's best handled with Verizon Customer Service, rather than through this peer-to-peer forum.

However, since you do have coax already running to the room where your computer is located, and if (this is important) your Actiontec is being fed by coax now, the amount of work involved in moving the router would be minimal.  Just disconnect it from it's present location and reconnect it in your master bedroom. 

You may need a splitter for the coax in the bedroom but they're inexpensive and easy to obtain.

If your Actiontec is currently connected to your ONT via Ethernet, moving the router would still be done the same way but you'd then have to call tech support and get them to change your ONT's provisioning from Ethernet output to coax.

Once the router is moved, connect it to your PC via Cat 5/6 cable and in all likelihood you'll start getting the full speeds you're paying for.

View solution in original post

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon could care less if you want to do your own ethernet connection instead of Wireless.   Just hang onto the USB card they gave you in case they want it back when you leave Verizon.  Hopefully they aren't charging you extra for that.

0 Likes
kilowatt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for your input.  I'll wait for a few more replies to my question before I make a decision about installing the Ethernet cable myself.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Do you have coax running from your ONT to your master bedroom, feeding a TV?

If so, you should be able to just relocate your router to the bedroom.  Would  that eliminate the need for rewiring?

0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

@eljefe wrote:

Do you have coax running from your ONT to your master bedroom, feeding a TV?

If so, you should be able to just relocate your router to the bedroom.  Would  that eliminate the need for rewiring?

This. But to answer the question, Verizon doesn't care , just will charge to help rewire if you mess up. 

Might want to look into the FiOS Inside Wire Maintenance Plan for $9 a month. Unsure how strict they are about you adding and dropping it.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

My point was if the OP already has coax running to the room where his computer is located, he may be able to just relocate his router to that room without having to do any re-wiring at all.

0 Likes
kilowatt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for your input.

Yes, I have coax cable coming from my attic to every room in my house.  When I had my house built, I requested that the builder install coax cable in every room in my house so my family could watch TV in any room.

I have a MI42WR Actiontec wireless router and it has a port for coax.  Now, the obvious question is:  Why didn't the Verizon installers ask me if I had coax cable running to my master bedroom??  Why must I do this work???  I don't mind doing the work but didn't I just pay Verizon for the installation???

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I can't answer the question why the installer did what he did.  If you have a complaint about that it's best handled with Verizon Customer Service, rather than through this peer-to-peer forum.

However, since you do have coax already running to the room where your computer is located, and if (this is important) your Actiontec is being fed by coax now, the amount of work involved in moving the router would be minimal.  Just disconnect it from it's present location and reconnect it in your master bedroom. 

You may need a splitter for the coax in the bedroom but they're inexpensive and easy to obtain.

If your Actiontec is currently connected to your ONT via Ethernet, moving the router would still be done the same way but you'd then have to call tech support and get them to change your ONT's provisioning from Ethernet output to coax.

Once the router is moved, connect it to your PC via Cat 5/6 cable and in all likelihood you'll start getting the full speeds you're paying for.

kilowatt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for your input.  I am a retired telecommunications manager (US Departmernt of Justice) and a holder of an Amateur Extra license from the Federal Communications Commission.  I will do all the work myself.  I have all the cables that I need for the job.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

CQ DX!  I also have an Amateur Extra ticket although it's been years since I've been active on the air.

Anyway, please report back what results you get at www.speedtest.net once you've made the changes discussed here.  Assuming you get the results you're hoping for, knowing that may help other reading this thread in the future.  And if for some reason moving your router and changing from wifi to hard wired doesn't do the trick, well, let's not go there unless necessary.

73 Smiley Wink

Typical speedtest here with 75/35 plan:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3442186098.png

0 Likes