Re: Not getting The Speed That I am Paying For
NickZQ
Enthusiast - Level 3

Why don't you just buy a top line wireless router like the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (this is what I have but you can buy others).  Plug that into the Verizon router with an ethernet cable, disable the Verizon router Wifi signal. 

I have 75/35 and I am able to get the full 75Mbits wireless on second floor through the 5Ghz channel - to put into perspective the max I was getting with Verizon GigE wireless router was 39Mbits through Wifi.

But remember, the connection is also limited by the network card your computer has.  My laptop has an 802.11N wireless card that can connect to the router at 300Mbits on the 5Ghz band.

One of my other desktop has a wireless network card that can only connect to a max speed of 65Mbits on the 2.4Ghz channel so the max throughput connection on speed test for that computer is only 30Mbits. 

0 Likes
kilowatt
Enthusiast - Level 3

@eljefe wrote:

CQ DX!  I also have an Amateur Extra ticket although it's been years since I've been active on the air.

Anyway, please report back what results you get at www.speedtest.net once you've made the changes discussed here.  Assuming you get the results you're hoping for, knowing that may help other reading this thread in the future.  And if for some reason moving your router and changing from wifi to hard wired doesn't do the trick, well, let's not go there unless necessary.

73 Smiley Wink

Typical speedtest here with 75/35 plan:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3442186098.png

Eljefe, please browse the following website:

http://www.qrz.com/db/W3XAF

It will be a few weeks before I can get the work done.  I have to leave soon on a trip to Pennsylvania to attend an amateur radio (ham) gathering.

0 Likes
kilowatt
Enthusiast - Level 3

NickZQ wrote:

Why don't you just buy a top line wireless router like the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (this is what I have but you can buy others).  Plug that into the Verizon router with an ethernet cable, disable the Verizon router Wifi signal. 

I have 75/35 and I am able to get the full 75Mbits wireless on second floor through the 5Ghz channel - to put into perspective the max I was getting with Verizon GigE wireless router was 39Mbits through Wifi.

But remember, the connection is also limited by the network card your computer has.  My laptop has an 802.11N wireless card that can connect to the router at 300Mbits on the 5Ghz band.

One of my other desktop has a wireless network card that can only connect to a max speed of 65Mbits on the 2.4Ghz channel so the max throughput connection on speed test for that computer is only 30Mbits. 

Thanks for your input Nick.  Your solution to the problem has merit.  However, I'm using an 8 year old Gateway computer and I don't have a wireless card installed.  I would have to buy one.  The FIOS installers installed a Zyxel USB wireless device to enable my wireless network signals.  I'll try the coax connection to my router first and if that doesn't work, I'll go out and buy a wireless card for my computer and follow your advice.

0 Likes
kilowatt
Enthusiast - Level 3

@kilowatt wrote:

@NickZQ wrote:

Thanks for your input Nick.  Your solution to the problem has merit.  However, I'm using an 8 year old Gateway computer and I don't have a wireless card installed.  I would have to buy one.  The FIOS installers installed a Zyxel USB wireless device to enable my wireless network signals.  I'll try the coax connection to my router first and if that doesn't work, I'll go out and buy a wireless card for my computer and follow your advice.

Oops.  Sorry about that Nick.  I do have a Marvell Yukon 88E8050 PCI-E ASF Ethernet Card installed in my Gateway computer.  I'll have to check my card's specifications.

0 Likes
thenamesed
Enthusiast - Level 2

@NickZQ wrote:

Ok I'm only about 2 to 5 feets away from my wireless FIOS router and I'm only getting max .. 52 MPS and at majority of times 32 mps... how are you able to get that? I mean granted my internet disconnects at random if you read a post replying to someone else having same issues as me on another thread. Oh yeah I'm also 75/35.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

What type device are you measuring your speeds with?  PC?   Mac?  Phone?  Etc?

Have you tried connecting to your Actiontec router via hardwire rather than wifi to narrow down whether the problem is with wifi or something else?

FWIW, I have an Actiontec Rev I router and if I'm in the same room as the router, and using a MacBook Pro or Win 7 PC I consistently get 75/35+ at www.speedtest.net.

On my iPhone 5s, or iPad 2, speeds top out ~35 mb/s up and down.

0 Likes
thenamesed
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have multiple devices, I have the latest surface pro so I can't wire that directly, I have my galaxy note 3 and my xbox one I use it on. I also have an HP windows 7 laptop. Wired it still is the same. It reaches max upload but never max download on all devices. This has to be an issue with the internet provided by verizon as it disconnects frequently without any waring or indications shoing that the problem is with wired/wireless or ith the router itself.

It's a constant around 32 mps at random it spikes up to 50 mps sometimes 70 the max i tested seeing so far has been 72mps even with wired connection.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

My suggestion is you first concentrate on getting the speed to be consistant on your laptop when it's hard wired to your router.  That will, for troubleshooting purposes, eliminate the other devices from being part of the problem (as is the case with my iOS devices). 

A few more questions looking to shed some light on what your issue may be:

What part of the country are you in?

Are you in a private residence or a multiple dwelling / apartment?

Do any of your neighbors have FiOS and, if so, do they have the same problem?

Can you post a link to the results from a test at www.speedtest.net ?

Are the results about the same at http://my.verizon.com/services/speedtest/ as they are at speedtest.net?

Have you run the FiOS Optimizer on your laptop?  http://my.verizon.com/services/speedoptimizer/FIOS/

Do the speed test results get better/worse at particular times of the day?

And what model is your Actiontec router?

0 Likes
thenamesed
Enthusiast - Level 2

@eljefe wrote:

My suggestion is you first concentrate on getting the speed to be consistant on your laptop when it's hard wired to your router.  That will, for troubleshooting purposes, eliminate the other devices from being part of the problem (as is the case with my iOS devices). 

A few more questions looking to shed some light on what your issue may be:

What part of the country are you in?

Are you in a private residence or a multiple dwelling / apartment?

Do any of your neighbors have FiOS and, if so, do they have the same problem?

Can you post a link to the results from a test at www.speedtest.net ?

Are the results about the same at http://my.verizon.com/services/speedtest/ as they are at speedtest.net?

Have you run the FiOS Optimizer on your laptop?  http://my.verizon.com/services/speedoptimizer/FIOS/

Do the speed test results get better/worse at particular times of the day?

And what model is your Actiontec router?

None of this matters now I go so frustrated with this stupid service I'm thinking on cancelling it's not worth the hassle I've barely been a customer for one day and I've had nothing but disappointments throughout. I called them and they said they'll bring a tech out tommorrow if the problem still persists I will just end my services for now I just unplugged the whole thing before I lose my mind. 

But ok I'll answer your questions. As irrelevant as those questions are to my issue.. the issue here is the internet, how can the internet be resolved is the real question here. It should have nothing to do with router/pc people living nexwt to me and my area etc. Just the internet. Provided by Verizon.

I'm in North Jersey, 10 minutes away from new york. North Bergen County area. I'm in a private residence (just moved here)  So I don't know anyone here that has FIOS.

As for the test results I'll probably post tomorrow hen the tech comes over I really don't want to connect to that internet anymore before I start losing my hair.

No, there is no particular time of day where the service gets better/worse it's incredibly random. Sometimes it works for hours without any problems and then it''ll disconnect me and sometimes it would disconnect every minute or throughout the day at any given time as for the 2 and a half days I have had this service.

The model is MI424WR. Of the router that to me shows lights green regardless when I'm connected or not via internet.

0 Likes
thenamesed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh yeah just to add, right now I'm using my AT&T Mobile phone's service provider HOTSPOT from my androoid galaxy phone and speed is amazing compared to verizon that I was using... and guess what no disconnects! I can be talking to someone on the [hone/texting play online games on my phone and use my phone as a hotspot and still surf the web on my tablet/pc without an issues! Amazing....

0 Likes