Not getting advertised speeds
NatsFan37
I am not getting consistent advertised speeds from my newly upgraded 70/35 plan. In general, connectivity via iphone and iPad seems to have slowed from my old 35/15 plan. I never see speeds of 75 on my pc. Speedtest.net shows irregular, bursts speeds. I'm disappointed so far. I've tried setting a fixed wireless channel, completely cleaning and optimizing my pc, but nothing is improving things. I've talked with Verizon support, but that usually takes hours and degenerates into a "what is your name" / we don't have that name discussion.
0 Likes
Re: Not getting advertised speeds
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Did you try the 3 different channels   1 6 AND 11?

Usually one of them is a magic number, where the other two will give you spotty results.  

0 Likes
miket699

Having same problem.....No virus or mal-ware Paying for 35-35...getting 29-28 Mbps. I believe I have tried everything. Completely cleaned computer. Still the same. It seems that since I have changed from my original setting for speed it has slowed down especially when you boot up and download. Take forever!!!! Need help!!!!!

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

miket699,

Just a friendly reminder, this is a forum where users help other users. It looks like your issue may require a Verizon representative to review your account details. Please contact our customer service team via live chat or email at: http://www22.verizon.com/content/contactus/

@miket699 wrote:

Having same problem.....No virus or mal-ware Paying for 35-35...getting 29-28 Mbps. I believe I have tried everything. Completely cleaned computer. Still the same. It seems that since I have changed from my original setting for speed it has slowed down especially when you boot up and download. Take forever!!!! Need help!!!!!

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@miket699 wrote:

{edited for privacy}

You will want to do a few things and then post them back here

1. Make sure you are hardwired
  2. Test at http://speedtest.verizon.net
  3. Click on detailed results
  4. copy and paste the results here

0 Likes
vinnie365

thought it was because i was using wifi but just tried via wire connection and I'm still not getting what I pay for (50/25)

Your download
speed is
26.621 Mbps

Your upload
speed is
29.006 Mbps

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [66608]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 29.00Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 26.62Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Mac OS X, Architecture = x86_64, Version = 10.7.4
Java data: Vendor = Apple Inc., Version = 1.6.0_33

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 66608 bytes.
10 Gbps 10 GigEthernet/OC-192 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 17.82 msec; the Packet size = 1448 Bytes; and 
No packet loss was observed.
This connection is receiver limited 36.05% of the time.
Increasing the the client's receive buffer (65.0 KB) will improve performance
This connection is sender limited 63.28% of the time.
This connection is network limited 0.67% of the time.

idk what to do? it's making me question why I am even sticking with Fios..

Edit:

just tried via speedtest.net and got the desired results.

0 Likes
NatsFan37

Here's what comes back from MyVerizon speedtest.  My speed is supposed to be 70/35.  This is a wired connection, about 6 feet from router.

Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [261360]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 24.92Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 19.17Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_31

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 174080 bytes.
100 Mbps FastEthernet link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 13.12 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
There were 8 packets retransmitted, 86 duplicate acks received, and 8 SACK blocks received
The connection stalled 8 times due to packet loss
The connection was idle 1.71 seconds (14.24%) of the time
This connection is receiver limited 71.17% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 25.48% of the time.
This connection is network limited 3.35% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
Server says [XXXXXXXXX] but Client says [XXXXXXXX]

Any help would be appreciated. 

Ipad runs in home at 20 Mbps.  I went to Apple store at Clarendon VA and the ipads there - same model - are running at 35 Mbps.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

For those of you using wireless connections, test your speed on only hardwired connections. Wireless is a highly variable medium and is prone for interference and is only demonstrating the performance of the weakest link, in this case wireless where your pipe coming in is bigger than the computer's connection medium.

If you cannot get your max speed on a wired connection, try another speed test, try multiple downloads and uploads at once (large files) and consider tuning/optimizing TCP/IP.

0 Likes
spike4hand
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also have been having problems with getting the speeds I am supposed to be getting.  Thanks to those posting suggestions here.  Will certainly try the verizon speed test through a hardwired PC at home once again tonight and post those results and/or call support for assistance.

Immediate question I have is related to the post just above.  It is understood that a wireless connection will always be a little bit slower and problem-prone than a wired connection.  However - are there suggestions to improve our wireless networks?  Should I be looking at upgrading my router?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

You should always try to change the wireless channel first.  That is huge, and can sometimes resolve your speed issue for wireless. 

1. Open a Web browser like Internet Explorer or Firefox.

1. Enter http://192.168.1.1 in the Address field of the browser.

Figure depicting Address Field

1. Enter your user name. If you didn't change the user name during installation, enter adminin the User Name field. [Show Me]

1. Enter the password you entered during installation and click OK. (this is usually the serial number found on your router, under the upc bar code)

Once logged in - click on wireless at the top.  A new menu will appear, select basic security.  Option number 3 is usually wireless channels.  Change it from auto, to 11, test it and if it works fine then leave it there.  If no immediate difference, choose channel 6, and test, and then finally channel 1 and test.

If those 3 channels don't give you a satisfactory result, then yes you may need a Wireless access point, or a wireless N Router.  Verizon sells one (kinda pricey to me) or you can buy one at amazon (I bought and use the trendnet, easy wireless n upgrader - works well), and then piggy back it to your existing verizon router.