Noticeable Packet Loss

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Noticeable Packet Loss

Message 1 of 1
(145 Views)

Hello,

I've encountered a similar problem to another recent forum post but I do not seem to be able to reply to the post so I am creating a new one. As with that post, I am also located on the East Coast.

Over the past two weeks, I have begun noticing packet loss while using FIOS. It's most easily noticed while in faster paced games (Apex, R6, etc.) as my character will stutter and teleport and the games will display the packet loss symbols. In the post that I mentioned, no potential fixes were suggested and the Mod indicated that an agent would reach out to the poster directly so I'm not sure if anyone other than a Mod will be able to help.

I've begun running some diagnostics to see if I could determine what the issue is. So far, I have been able to determine that I am consistently averaging 3-5 packet loss disruptions per minute per PingPlotter. Based off of my memory, I would guess that the majority of my tests are averaging 5-7% packet loss. I don't know if that is a lot but my games seem to suggest that it's enough to create an issue. Per PingPlotter, I am having no packet loss at my router. The packet loss begins occurring at Hops 3 and beyond that contain verizon-gni.net, ALTER.NET or just numbers in their names and then carries through to the final destination. I'm new to this topic but that seems to suggest that the problem lies outside of my house.

Other details if helpful:

My internet speed seems unaffected as the Verizon Speed Test shows my speed as good for both my router and my device.

I've tried the traditional fixes as I spent some time on the phone with a representative yesterday and they were unable to solve the issue.

Edit: Forgot to add, the packet losses do not seem to be time dependent. It is the same regardless of whether it is high traffic hours or off hours.

If anyone has experienced this before or knows of a solution, please let me know.

Thank you

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.