Number of devices on guest network
VAI1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi

I have recently set up a new Fios Home router (G3100) with guest network enabled. It seems that this guest network is limited to a maximum of 10 devices, and nothing else can be connected without first disconnecting something else. This is not documented in the manual, nor do I see any setting in the router dashboard to change this limit. Any ideas?

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Number of devices on guest network
VAI1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Finally reached the manufacturer of the G3100 router through Verizon technical support. It is confirmed that the Guest network on this device can handle a maximum of 10 devices. So, it may not be viable to follow the recommendation to segregate Internet of Things devices on the Guest network, if one uses this router.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

This must be a firmware option that Verizon has chosen.

If you connect a device to the guest network, what IP and subnet mask do you get?

Its possible that the guest network is set up as a small subnet to limit devices.

VAI1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the reply and forum instructions.

I'm outside my knowledge boundaries here, so I hope I'm looking at the right entries. I see that all devices on the guest network have a 200 as third number for IP, whereas the devices on the regular network get a 1. the first two numbers are the same for all devices on either network, and the fourth varies. 

Only a single subnet mask is reported for the router, I suppose for both networks, 255.255.255.0 and cannot be changed

Thank you

0 Likes
VAI1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Finally reached the manufacturer of the G3100 router through Verizon technical support. It is confirmed that the Guest network on this device can handle a maximum of 10 devices. So, it may not be viable to follow the recommendation to segregate Internet of Things devices on the Guest network, if one uses this router.

Unable to Connect Devices to Guest Network
Beach_Life

I have the Gigabit router and want to use the Guest network for all of my home automation, security, and IoT devices which consists of:

• 4 Ring doorbells and cameras
  • Sense home energy monitor
  • 4 Amazon Alexa
  • Ecobee thermostat
  • Flume water monitor
  • LG refrigerator
  • Multiple smart light bulbs and switches

My goal is to keep these isolated from things like my laptop.  Not all of these are currently connected and I ran into an issue over the weekend where it seemed like I had hit a max device limit.

Three questions...

1. Is there a default device limit on either the Main or Guest network?
  2. If so, can I override this?
  3. What is the maximum number of devices that can be on the Guest network?
0 Likes
Beach_Life

I just posted the same question...should have done a more thorough search.

This is exactly why I was going this direction - to segreate things like Ring cameras, Amazon Alexa, and other smart/IoT devices from my laptop.  A limit of 10 devices is crazy and I wish that I had known that up front.

0 Likes
BobBloomGeek
Enthusiast - Level 1

Good research.

Verizon: this **bleep**.  Putting IOT devices on a separate network is not only a great idea, it's the recommended and only way to protect your LAN from these inexpensive, seldom-updated, insecure, and vulnerable devices.  One can easily exceed 10 devices, these things don't use a lot of bandwidth and many can be supported on the G3100 router if only you'd let it.  And if you're really worried about that, then just make it a configurable option in the router admin interface.

FiOS customer for 10+ years, very happy with the service, but boy was this a *dumb* decision.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since you have been a 10+ years customer, do you have retired routers that you can use to serve as a stand-alone access point? You can then use static routing to achieve separate networks. This requires a lot of networking skills.

Are the IoT all uses the 2.4 GHz? If so, you can isolate the 2.4 GHz and the 5GHz wireless network, and connect all IoTs to the 2.4 GHz and your devices to the 5 GHz. Despite you need to change the setting on the Verizon router, this procedure is not covered by the official technical support. You can inquire it here though.

0 Likes
JASPhoto

This comes up as solved - It's NOT "solved" it's answered maybe but not "solved". A link to instructions on how to add a second router to separate IOT stuff that many people figured they would be able to put on the guest network. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JASPhoto wrote:

This comes up as solved - It's NOT "solved" it's answered maybe but not "solved". A link to instructions on how to add a second router to separate IOT stuff that many people figured they would be able to put on the guest network. 

Please open a new thread. As I mentioned before, two router setup is a bit advanced and require some networking knowledge to configure correctly. The setup is also varied on a case-per-case basis. Our CLs will help you to our best ability.

0 Likes