SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Number of devices on guest network

Message 1 of 6
(2,010 Views)

Hi

I have recently set up a new Fios Home router (G3100) with guest network enabled. It seems that this guest network is limited to a maximum of 10 devices, and nothing else can be connected without first disconnecting something else. This is not documented in the manual, nor do I see any setting in the router dashboard to change this limit. Any ideas?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Number of devices on guest network

Message 4 of 6
(1,861 Views)

Finally reached the manufacturer of the G3100 router through Verizon technical support. It is confirmed that the Guest network on this device can handle a maximum of 10 devices. So, it may not be viable to follow the recommendation to segregate Internet of Things devices on the Guest network, if one uses this router.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 2 of 6
(1,968 Views)

This must be a firmware option that Verizon has chosen.

If you connect a device to the guest network, what IP and subnet mask do you get?

Its possible that the guest network is set up as a small subnet to limit devices.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 6
(1,905 Views)

Thank you for the reply and forum instructions.

I'm outside my knowledge boundaries here, so I hope I'm looking at the right entries. I see that all devices on the guest network have a 200 as third number for IP, whereas the devices on the regular network get a 1. the first two numbers are the same for all devices on either network, and the fourth varies. 

Only a single subnet mask is reported for the router, I suppose for both networks, 255.255.255.0 and cannot be changed

Thank you

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 4 of 6
(1,862 Views)

Finally reached the manufacturer of the G3100 router through Verizon technical support. It is confirmed that the Guest network on this device can handle a maximum of 10 devices. So, it may not be viable to follow the recommendation to segregate Internet of Things devices on the Guest network, if one uses this router.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to Connect Devices to Guest Network

Message 5 of 6
(240 Views)

I have the Gigabit router and want to use the Guest network for all of my home automation, security, and IoT devices which consists of:

• 4 Ring doorbells and cameras
  • Sense home energy monitor
  • 4 Amazon Alexa
  • Ecobee thermostat
  • Flume water monitor
  • LG refrigerator
  • Multiple smart light bulbs and switches

My goal is to keep these isolated from things like my laptop.  Not all of these are currently connected and I ran into an issue over the weekend where it seemed like I had hit a max device limit.

Three questions...

1. Is there a default device limit on either the Main or Guest network?
  2. If so, can I override this?
  3. What is the maximum number of devices that can be on the Guest network?

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 6 of 6
(243 Views)

I just posted the same question...should have done a more thorough search.

This is exactly why I was going this direction - to segreate things like Ring cameras, Amazon Alexa, and other smart/IoT devices from my laptop.  A limit of 10 devices is crazy and I wish that I had known that up front.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.