OMG please help. Speed issues!
MJDoog

This is going to be long. I had Fios internet installed a few weeks back. Havent paid my 1st bill yet. Wirelessly..the speeds SUCK! So, I had them come back out and move my router down into the basement, and I have my WIRELESS laptop PLUGGED into the router. After the tect had moved the router, he then installed a NIM?? 

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-Adapter-Service-ECB2500CK01/dp/B008EQ4BQG/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?...

Then he connected the NIM via ethernet cable to my NetGear N600 router. I had awesome speeds for about a week or so. I had consistent speeds on all the speed testing sites of 80-85 meg all the time. I was extremely happy. Then 6 days ago on Monday. I was having trouble browsing the internet, and my speeds on all the big sites were 15 or less! It was like  still by Thursday. I called Verizon's tech support. I had without a doubt, the most ingnorant peice of crap person I have ever dealt with on the phone. He preceeded to yell and scream at me on the phone about WHY I am using a Netgear router. I must have told him 20 times that I did not install it; the tech did. I scheduled a tech to the house and he came yesterday. (Saturday)

Well, this guy was nice, and ran some tests and agreed with me that the speeds wired/wirelessly are terrible. He replaced the router, still bad. He replaced the box on the side of the house and I now have great speeds on the Verizon Speed Test Site. 84/35 But my computer is dragging butt and my pages are slow. I use all the AVG tools to clean and scan every day. This laptop and my xbox is the only thing wired to the Verizon router; everything else in the house is running off of the Netgear router; Iphone, pod and pad. Sons Xbox and the kids laptop. 

Where did my speeds go?? I don't care what Verizon says or what their speed test says. My speeds suck. The kids laptop can't even browse the web. I can't get in touch with NetGear and I am probably not going to pay all that money for them to help me configure my router. Is this where my problem lies? What can I do to make this faster. 

I recently left Comcast to come to Verizon and I can honestly say now that it was a huge mistake. I was in my glory for a week or so, but that is it. Woah...and all the billing issues, those are stories for another day. Lets just say I have spent 6hrs and 37mins (according to my iphone) on the phone with Verizon just this weekend. Nice way to completely blow 2 days off work. 

I would appreciate any help that can be given. I am not very computer literate so I would really need some simple to follow step by step instructions..

-Mike

0 Likes