ONT Box has no battery... plugged into the wall. Is this normal?
xsparr0w
Enthusiast - Level 1

So ive been having a ton of issues with my internet and i'm troubleshooting from the ground up, which is another story. Basically, I was told to reset my ONT box which is located under the heater in a closet in the living room (in an apartment). When I went in to do it, I couldn't find the blue buttons, so I remembered someone saying just to disconnect the battery. When I went to do this, I noticed there was no battery. Also, the Replace Battery light is on. What I DID find was that the box was plugged into a wall outlet. I unplugged it and plugged it back in to reset the box. But this seems strange. Is this a normal occurence? Also, our power bill has been nuts sine moving in a month ago. Could this be the reason?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: ONT Box has no battery... plugged into the wall. Is this normal?
Hokiedad2
Contributor - Level 1

The ONT is always plugged in. The battery is only used to provide power to the phone when you have a power outage. The battery is either a sealed lead acid battery or a box with 12 D alkaline batteries.

It's very unlikely that the ONT is causing your electrical consumption issues. But you might want to pick up one of those Kill-a-Watt gadgets to check.

Re: ONT Box has no battery... plugged into the wall. Is this normal?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@delle1 wrote:

So ive been having a ton of issues with my internet and i'm troubleshooting from the ground up, which is another story. Basically, I was told to reset my ONT box which is located under the heater in a closet in the living room (in an apartment). When I went in to do it, I couldn't find the blue buttons, so I remembered someone saying just to disconnect the battery. When I went to do this, I noticed there was no battery. Also, the Replace Battery light is on. What I DID find was that the box was plugged into a wall outlet. I unplugged it and plugged it back in to reset the box. But this seems strange. Is this a normal occurence? Also, our power bill has been nuts sine moving in a month ago. Could this be the reason?

Thanks

Unplugging the wall connector is the normal way to reset the ONT.  The battery only provides 44v for old style (non mains powered) phones, it has nothing to do with the internet and tv side.