ONT Ethernet Port Problems

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

ONT Ethernet Port Problems

Message 1 of 3
(1,164 Views)

Let me just explain my story....

So my wifi card has been breaking and I have been receiving around 2mbs, totally unacceptable.

So I thought I would finally get ethernet, so I paid some electricians to run ethernet (cat5+) up from my verizon ONT to my room, when I plug it in, little do I know that it does not work. I then read that you have to activiate and im like ok don't freak out yet. But after spending 30 minutes finding even the correct place to call I get put on hold for 2 hrs and I am still on hold.

I know that it is possible, yet I still want to keep my Verizon Router and TV plan, im running the ethernet from the box to my computer directly, is this possible and what am I doing wrong?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: ONT Ethernet Port Problems

Message 2 of 3
(1,146 Views)

Try twitter @verizonsupport

You can have internet via coax or via Ethernet, not both.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor I
Platinum Contributor I

Re: ONT Ethernet Port Problems

Message 3 of 3
(1,113 Views)

@shtabbbe wrote:

Let me just explain my story....

So my wifi card has been breaking and I have been receiving around 2mbs, totally unacceptable.

So I thought I would finally get ethernet, so I paid some electricians to run ethernet (cat5+) up from my verizon ONT to my room, when I plug it in, little do I know that it does not work. I then read that you have to activiate and im like ok don't freak out yet. But after spending 30 minutes finding even the correct place to call I get put on hold for 2 hrs and I am still on hold.

I know that it is possible, yet I still want to keep my Verizon Router and TV plan, im running the ethernet from the box to my computer directly, is this possible and what am I doing wrong?

You must call 1-800-VERIZON have them switch you over to ethernet from coaxial.

however depending on if you have speed under 75/75 or at that, you may need a premise visit to switch out the ONT .

the correct setup is ONT-ETHERNET FROM ONT TO ROUTERS WAN PORT-router LAN to use a ethernet cable to computers 10/100/1000 port.

that is how it is connected. You activate WiFi to use devices not connected directly to the 4 lan ports on the router.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.