ONT-Router Capability
Lectorum
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dear Fellow Fios Community,

Need an assessment of conflicting Tech advice I've been given.

I'm a 12 year FIOS customer (Triple Play).

Wanting to update/upgrade an older Verizon router (non-SON, single band, wifi getting stepped on a lot my nearby neighbors).  I subscribe to FIOS TV package, and want to avoid the tech headaches/conflicts of using/configuring a non-FIOS router and retaining FIOS TV.

Also want to "modestly" upgrade bandwidth (currently 20/5) to 75/75. I was advised 75 is the upper limit of my current ONT.

Up front, I'm mindful that with COVID, I realistically need to self install and wont get an installation tech on-site. However *IF I can get the right/correct FIOS router* I can probably install that myself.

Issue - Telephone Tech#1 advised yesterday that my current ONT (ONT611 manufacturerer AFCM) will not work with the newest router that FIOS sales wants to send or sell me - the G3100. He advised I seek a older 'Fios Quantum Gateway' router (SON capable and compatible with my older ONT, he said). That may/may not be available through FIOS. Might have to seek that on eBay.

Today, the FIOS customer support, contacts Tech #2, with me on hold - then advises me that the newest FIOS router G3100 WILL work with my existing ONT.

What can the community advise? If I accept (rent or buy) the new G3100 router, will it be compatible with my older AFCM ONT611, which I'm told is 'BPON".

Any advice appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ONT-Router Capability
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Agree that the G3100 will work ... but here's another option:

1. Upgrade your speed and keep your existing router in place.  If you're paying a monthly fee now for the router and Verizon wants to send you an upgraded one, great.  If not, then just stay with what you have.

2. Purchase your own router from your favorite big box or online retailer -- there will be lots of suggestions (personally, I've had ASUS, Netgear, and TP-link and currently am using an TP-Link Archer A9).  Strongly suggest a dual band (two radio) with the supporting the latest wifi standards and speeds (or at least near latest).   Don't skimp here, but don't go nuts either ... you will find that a good commercially available router will likely knock the socks off the Verizon router in terms of Wi-Fi.

3. Disable the Wi-Fi on your current Verizon router (easy to do on the administration page -- if you don't know how, reach out and one of the folks here will tell you how).  Setup the router you purchased in "access point" mode and connect it's WAN interface to a LAN interface on your current router (again, lots of help available here for that if you have questions).

Voila!  You've upgraded the Wi-Fi on your network and retained the connectivity for your existing FiOS TV installation without having to get a MoCA repeater or any of that.   Benefit here is that after we get out from under all this nonsense going on, if you decide to go higher speed and have your ONT replaced, you can go with all your own equipment if you want or any other combination including getting whatever the latest router from Verizon is at that point in time).  

In addition, since you are still using the Verizon router as your primary interface to the FiOS network, any issues with the internet itself (i.e. not Wi-Fi related) can be easily tested by plugging directly into their router -- making support for your installation easier to deal with should you need it.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Both the G3100 and G1100 will work with your ONT.

The G3100 offers the latest, fastest tri-band WiFi tech (WiFi 6).  The G1100 has decent, but not great WiFi range.  It is dual band.

I've had a G1100 for years and it works very well for me in my single family home.  I've triple play with Gigabit FiOS.  It handles the speeds just fine.  75Mbps is a walk in the park (alone, of course :- ) for this router.

It will be much cheaper to buy a used G1100.  Just make sure the seller has a fair return policy in case you get a bum unit or one flashed with Frontier firmware (you'll know when you login to it and don't see the VZ logo).

If you currently have the old red band Actiontec router, you may find the G1100's WiFi range to be less,  The Actiontec's WiFi is much slower, though.  Barely fast enough for 75Mbps.  For wired connections, the Actiontec can easily handle 75Mbps.

I recommend caution with SON.  Many users have reported issues with it (search this forum.)  I have avoided it in my home, as everything works fine as is.

Good Luck.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Agree that the G3100 will work ... but here's another option:

1. Upgrade your speed and keep your existing router in place.  If you're paying a monthly fee now for the router and Verizon wants to send you an upgraded one, great.  If not, then just stay with what you have.

2. Purchase your own router from your favorite big box or online retailer -- there will be lots of suggestions (personally, I've had ASUS, Netgear, and TP-link and currently am using an TP-Link Archer A9).  Strongly suggest a dual band (two radio) with the supporting the latest wifi standards and speeds (or at least near latest).   Don't skimp here, but don't go nuts either ... you will find that a good commercially available router will likely knock the socks off the Verizon router in terms of Wi-Fi.

3. Disable the Wi-Fi on your current Verizon router (easy to do on the administration page -- if you don't know how, reach out and one of the folks here will tell you how).  Setup the router you purchased in "access point" mode and connect it's WAN interface to a LAN interface on your current router (again, lots of help available here for that if you have questions).

Voila!  You've upgraded the Wi-Fi on your network and retained the connectivity for your existing FiOS TV installation without having to get a MoCA repeater or any of that.   Benefit here is that after we get out from under all this nonsense going on, if you decide to go higher speed and have your ONT replaced, you can go with all your own equipment if you want or any other combination including getting whatever the latest router from Verizon is at that point in time).  

In addition, since you are still using the Verizon router as your primary interface to the FiOS network, any issues with the internet itself (i.e. not Wi-Fi related) can be easily tested by plugging directly into their router -- making support for your installation easier to deal with should you need it.

Lectorum
Enthusiast - Level 2

GS0B - thank you.

Two main reasons for considering an upgrade.

1. Range, and multiple competing routers in my community. I'm in a townhouse community and surmise my neighbors new routers are starting to step on my signal.

2. Security. Older router (on WPA2 nonetheless) = less secure (?) 

When you say "the old red band Actiontec router, you may find the G1100's WiFi range to be less" - is that a function of the frequency band selected? Is it adjustable/selectable?

Im in a townhouse with router and ONT on outer wall, center floor. The Actiontec I'm using, has a range issue on third floor other side of the town house. Straight line distance about 75-125 feet but through a floor and a few walls. By no means a Faraday cage, but enough to lose signal to an IPAD from third floor front room to routerr on second floor pantry other side of the house. So signal strength matters.

Had simply considered getting an extender with COAX inputs and plug it into the livingroom or upstairs bedroom coax outputs...but am frustrated that it could be necessary in a relatively modest townhouse.

Again thank you for insights. Disappointed to hear about dubiousness of SON - which I'd hoped would be an advantage in this crowded wifi environment. Relieved to hear that the G1100 and G3100 would both work. 

Thank you.

Lectorum
Enthusiast - Level 2

lasagna - thank you.

Had considered buying my own router - but honestly am a little uncertain i'd 

a) get the right one

b) have sufficient skill (albeit aided by the fine community here) to daisy-chain it properly to the older one.

Am now considering

1. retaining current router, with modest bandwidth increase (75/75), and considering an extender plugged into one of two interior coax outlets. Technically compatible?

2. Buying a g1100 and self installing

3. purchasing the g3100 from VZ and self installing 

Thank you!

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Actiontec is 802.11b/g/n.  The G1100 is 802.11b/g/n/ac.  I found the 2.4GHz range to be less on my G1100 then the Actiontec it replaced.  Maybe because of the WiFi spec difference, maybe other issues.

Of course, the 5GHz range is infinitely better, as the Actiontec doesn't have 5GHz!  That said, 5GHz range is much less then 2.4GHz, as walls eat it.  This also means it's less crowded, as your neighbor's 5Ghz often doesn't reach your home.  It's much faster, too.

You could do as lasgna suggested and add a 3rd party router as an access point (AP.)  It's not hard; turn off the WiFi in the Actiontec, connect to the 3rd party router to turn off it's DHCP server and turn it into an AP, then connect an Ethernet cable between LAN ports on the two devices.  Lots of tutorials online and probably in the router's forum.

SON may work for you; I just haven't tried on my G1100.  There are lots of reports on these very forums about issues.  Of course, we don't get many posts from people who are using it and don't have issues.

rmur23
Enthusiast - Level 1

Will the G3100 go up to 400 mbps over coax?  I have the same ONT and coax connection I've had since install 8 years ago.  Right now i have 100/100 with the 1100 router.   Can I just upgrade to 400 mbps with the 3100 over coax or will I need a new ethernet port install?

Thanks

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

All Verizon ONTs are limited to 100Mbs over coax WAN.  Faster speeds require an Ethernet WAN link to the router.  If you can run the cable yourself, Verizon can switch the ONT from coax WAN to Ethernet WAN remotely.  Search this forum or start a new thread for details.

Also, if you have an 8-year old ONT, it is likely BPON which is limited to 100Mbps.  If so, you'll need it upgraded to GPON by Verizon.  Again, search this forum or start a new thread for details.