ONT in MDU installation question
wogfun

I have a very simple question that seems to be confusing each and every person I can manage to get on the phone at Fios installation HQ.  Heres the deal.  I live in an MDU that most certain has fiber optics coming into the basement.  The fiber terminates at these big boxes that are stacked with about 10 batteries in each one.  From that basement, there is only ONE coax going up to each floor, shared by 4 units.  Right now I am on VDSL.  I want to know if it is POSSIBLE to have my very own ONT installed in the basement, and fios internet sent up via the shared (between 4 units) coax via MOCA, or am I stuck with VDSL until I run my very own coax from the basement to my unit?

Side note, there is actually 2 coax going to each floor, one for Fios, the other for Optiumum.  The optimum coax is about 5 times thicker than the coax installed by VZ.  Does that matter?  I'm thinking it does.  Please help,   VDSL is terrible and I'm parying Fios prices anyway.  At least I get true fios tv service....

0 Likes
Re: ONT in MDU installation question
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Short answer -- no.

This is the basic tenet of an MDU installation.  They use VDSL to insure each unit has an independent network connection for privacy purposes.   While you could technically have four different frequencies being used for MoCA WAN, you'd have to manually configured each setup as well as utilize unique privacy encryption.   Same issue on the MoCA LAN side which doesn't use any privacy controls -- your neighbors would all see and be part of the same local network.

You can't use a lo-pass filter in this situation since you need the MoCA WAN signal to get to the apartment.   So, in MDU setups, they bring only TV via the Coax, install a lo-pass filter at the unit level to allow for an in-unit MoCA LAN, bring the internet via VDSL, and use a router in-unit to bridge the coax and ethernet (although I have seen setups which put all the STB's on a single multi-unit MoCA LAN -- but this is not a proper installation since you could see all your neighbors STB's and DVR's).

In short, you need a unique run from an ONT to your unit and your unit coax plant needs to be independent of the rest of the units.   Most MDU setups don't allow for this and as part of the agreement to pull an MDU setup into a building, Vz won't give you a unique run (or the apartment building owner won't allow it).

VDSL was used since many units don't have unique cable plants for coax by unit or the ability to run ethernet to each individual unit for high-speed data (but every unit has a unique run for old POTS service which can repurposed for VDSL). 

0 Likes