ONT is located in the basement-coax wireless modem has low connection rate-Direct wiring method?
QuickRick
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dear Forum,

I am just a silly electrician but can do as I'm told. We have the "Fios triple play" with TV, internet and telephone on our bill. We just had this install done and for aesthetics I wanted the ugly ONT inside the basement. We have a weak conductivity signal from the wireless modem to our PC.

Question:  The wireless modem and everything else in the house is off of a coax cable out of the ONT. While I would like to keep the wireless for a laptop in the future, I wonder if I could run a (ethernet)Cat 5 cable directly off of the ONT to our PC and let the wireless modem stay?

• Nim 100
  • Powerline ethernet bridge
  • Ethernet from modem to PC

I would like the shortest run, fast speeds and don't know much about hardware, wire lengths pitfalls etc.

Thanks in advance, 

QuickRick

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ONT is located in the basement-coax wireless modem has low connection rate-Direct wiring method?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

While you can connect directly to the ONT using an Ethernet cable, you would need to first of all give Verizon a call so that they can switch your Internet connection from Coax WAN to Ethernet WAN. Be aware that when this is done, you *HAVE* to plug the Verizon router into the ONT first via Ethernet so that your program guide information can be downloaded by the Set Top Boxes over the Coaxial link using MoCa, as well as other features such as CallerID and Remote DVR works. Without the Verizon router connected to the Internet some way, you'll lose the features above. If you have your own router and connect it directly to the Internet but use either a NIM100 or the ActionTec, you will still receive Guide data, you just won't have any extended features.

In your case what I would do is leave the router on Coax for ease of wiring, and from there simply re-locate the router to a better location if it's in the basement using a Live Coax jack in your home, or to simply run Ethernet cabling through the walls if possible to your PC (wireless does not travel upwards nicely using the stock antennas). Powerline or MoCa adapters can also be used to provide your PC with an Ethernet connection if physically running the cable isn't an option. For Flexibility should the FiOS router die for whatever reason, and for slightly lower latency, switching the Internet connection to Ethernet from the ONT will allow you to at least plug your PC into it until a replacement router arrives. When this is done, you will need to attach an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the FiOS router, and leave the Coaxial cable connected for the STBs to get data after you call in to get it switched over.

Hope I was clear with this.

View solution in original post

Re: ONT is located in the basement-coax wireless modem has low connection rate-Direct wiring method?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

While you can connect directly to the ONT using an Ethernet cable, you would need to first of all give Verizon a call so that they can switch your Internet connection from Coax WAN to Ethernet WAN. Be aware that when this is done, you *HAVE* to plug the Verizon router into the ONT first via Ethernet so that your program guide information can be downloaded by the Set Top Boxes over the Coaxial link using MoCa, as well as other features such as CallerID and Remote DVR works. Without the Verizon router connected to the Internet some way, you'll lose the features above. If you have your own router and connect it directly to the Internet but use either a NIM100 or the ActionTec, you will still receive Guide data, you just won't have any extended features.

In your case what I would do is leave the router on Coax for ease of wiring, and from there simply re-locate the router to a better location if it's in the basement using a Live Coax jack in your home, or to simply run Ethernet cabling through the walls if possible to your PC (wireless does not travel upwards nicely using the stock antennas). Powerline or MoCa adapters can also be used to provide your PC with an Ethernet connection if physically running the cable isn't an option. For Flexibility should the FiOS router die for whatever reason, and for slightly lower latency, switching the Internet connection to Ethernet from the ONT will allow you to at least plug your PC into it until a replacement router arrives. When this is done, you will need to attach an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the FiOS router, and leave the Coaxial cable connected for the STBs to get data after you call in to get it switched over.

Hope I was clear with this.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@QuickRick wrote:

Question:  The wireless modem and everything else in the house is off of a coax cable out of the ONT. While I would like to keep the wireless for a laptop in the future, I wonder if I could run a (ethernet)Cat 5 cable directly off of the ONT to our PC and let the wireless modem stay?

As smith6612 said, you need the router connected to the ONT to provide internet for both FIOS-TV and your PCs.

It doesn't matter if the router is connected to the ONT via cat5 or coax.

Your can usually get a better wireless connection by relocating the router.

Getting it out of the basement and in a more central location will help.

Coax allows you to place the router anywhere you have an active coax connection.

Another thing to try is changing the wireless channel.

Neighbors on the same channel can adversely affect your internet speed.

QuickRick
Enthusiast - Level 2

Guys,

I appreciate all of the help and I'm sorry if I left anyone out. Smith, I like it that you just told me what you would do, that's helpful.

The way the installer did it was to mount the wireless modem on the extreme end opposite of the house where the TV is located off of the coax. I can see now that running a ethernet wire directly off the ONT is more trouble than it is worth.

You helped me to wrap my head around why and so I believe that the Powerline or Nim or plugging a Cat5 into the wireless modem and doing a long fishing run is my option list. None of these will alter the TV features and frankly there's no advantage to moving the wireless modem to the ONT--it is located in the basement.

I am correct in thinking that my plugging ethernet wire into the wireless modem and doing a PC long run is viable correct? In that way it is solid wired, satisfies the coax to TV requirement and sends ethernet to the PC.

QuickRick

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Running a cat5 cable from the router to the PC will give you the fastest, most reliable connection.

A MOCA bridge is also a good choice.  Availability of NIM100s is erratic since they are no longer manufactured.  An Actiontec ECB2200 is a good choice.  They are available singlely and are plug and play.

Powerline ethernet can work, but can be subject to powerline interference.  If you go with powerline ethernet, make sure you get them from a store where they can be returned.

QuickRick
Enthusiast - Level 2

Phish,

Every time I get a response, I learn a little bit more. I'm even beginning to speak using the correct terminology!

My plan is then to fish a long piece of cat5 wire from the modem to the PC. I wish that it wasn't such a long run, it must be 50-60 feet but it is worth it.  This way I'll have the best of both worlds; wireless and wired.

Thanks a bunch,

QuickRick