ONT model needed for Gigabit service
Consupurch
Enthusiast - Level 1

Which model(s) of ONT box is needed for Gigabit service. I currently have an ONT model I-211M-L. It is connected to the router via an Ethernet cable. Is this ONT capable of gigbit service? If not, what speed can this model provide.  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ONT model needed for Gigabit service
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes that ONT is capable of gigabit. You might have better luck with VZ Direct at dslreports.com or @VerizonSupport via Twitter. Explain you situation to them. If already on ethernet and with that ONT then you don’t need a tech visit or ONT upgrade. 

View solution in original post

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not a specific answer but hope it helps lead to yours.

Inside a Verizon Fios ONT 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_9bG7m1pdU&feature=emb_rel_pause

Consupurch
Enthusiast - Level 1

thanks. That is one of the videos is why I posted. He says he has near gigabit (950) service. I can't fully make out his model number but it looks right.  

Verizon is saying they can not upgrade me because I need a new ONT in my home, and due to COVID-19 they are not sending anyone into homes. I suspect their database has the wrong ONT box listed for me and I have everything I need.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes that ONT is capable of gigabit. You might have better luck with VZ Direct at dslreports.com or @VerizonSupport via Twitter. Explain you situation to them. If already on ethernet and with that ONT then you don’t need a tech visit or ONT upgrade. 

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're using Coax for the WAN connection between your ONT and router, run some Ethernet (CAT5e cable) between your ONT and router instead. Have Verizon Tech support switch your WAN connection to Ethernet. If you do this, getting self install Gigabit should be a  lot easier. Your ONT is already a GPON ONT and is ready for Gigabit.

Consupurch
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks!  Just posted to VZ Direct @ DSLreports. I noticed several subject lines where others are in a similar situation. At least one customer posted a public success story where VZ did activate the gigabit service and they had the same ONT.  Hoping this works.

Thanks Again! 

0 Likes
capitalhoo

Hi - did you ever get this solved Consupurch?

In the same situation, 9 month old ONT (last summer Verizon replaced the ancient ONT we previously had) and just upgraded to Gigabit speed. 

Getting the run around with an install date of Dec 2 and a promise that I'm a "stacked" appointment and it will be sooner... 

But I am not going to pay $150 for a new ONT when I already have on. And don't see why they can't flip it on now>

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@capitalhoo wrote:

In the same situation, 9 month old ONT (last summer Verizon replaced the ancient ONT we previously had) and just upgraded to Gigabit speed. 

Getting the run around with an install date of Dec 2 and a promise that I'm a "stacked" appointment and it will be sooner... 

But I am not going to pay $150 for a new ONT when I already have on. And don't see why they can't flip it on now>

@capitalhoo wrote:

You can call and have Verizon change the ONT from MoCA to ethernet. Just make sure the ethernet is in place before so you don't lose your internet. 

MusicLover1013
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm getting the same run around from Verizon that they aren't doing home visits and they'll need to charge me $149.  Their accounting of equipment is often wrong as techs don't have the time to update the system.   Did you get this resolved? 

0 Likes
sanitizer
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, pretty much same question:  I have the I-211M-K.  Is this Gigabit compatible?  Is there a definitive list?  They keep wanting to send a tech.  I don't need a tech.  I can make my own cables.  I just need them to enable the ethernet port.  Would rather buy an ONT from ebay than deal with a tech.

0 Likes