ONT to router connection
semitech
Enthusiast - Level 3

I currently have the 20/5 Fios internet and Fios TV. I'm considering adding a second router possibly a dual band, possibly the Verizon Actiontec N router.  The current Actiontec router has both a coax cable and an Ethernet cable attached. I can't tell what is connecting the router to the ONT. Is there a way to tell?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ONT to router connection
Hubrisnxs
Legend

usually the light status's will tell you, plus if you look in the back connections, you will see Ethernet Ports.

One is a White WAN port 

the other 4 are Yellow LAN ports

If something is plugged into the white wan then it's likely that you are hooked up ethernet. 

In general verizon hooks up coax as the main internet connection, so what you would do is piggy back your router.    

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

usually the light status's will tell you, plus if you look in the back connections, you will see Ethernet Ports.

One is a White WAN port 

If something is plugged into the white wan then it's likely that you are hooked up ethernet. 

In general verizon hooks up coax as the main internet connection, so what you would do is piggy back your router.    

semitech
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

One is a White WAN port 

If something is plugged into the white wan then it's likely that you are hooked up Ethernet. 

Thanks for the quick response and sorry for my delayed response. There is ethernet connected to the white wan port so ethernet it must be.  Can you help me with the following part of the instructions...

These instructions leave your Actiontec router as primary. Your secondary router will connect LAN-to-LAN (wired) to the Actiontec, so it will simply act as a switch...

My intention is to have the second router near my television where the coax is located connected via a splitter and Moca adapter if I go with a dual band non actiontec router or just the splitter with an actiontec.Would both of these configurations be considered "Lan-Lan wired"? I'm assuming the coax that runs from the TV goes back to the current Actiontec but as you might be able to tell I clearly have no idea what I'm doing.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

semitech wrote:

My intention is to have the second router near my television where the coax is located connected via a splitter and Moca adapter if I go with a dual band non actiontec router or just the splitter with an actiontec.Would both of these configurations be considered "Lan-Lan wired"? 

Yes.  The MOCA adapter or the second Actiontec extend your LAN via the coax.

semitech wrote:

I'm assuming the coax that runs from the TV goes back to the current Actiontec

Correct.  Your STB uses the MOCA LAN connection to the primary Actiontec to get guide data and VOD.

semitech
Enthusiast - Level 3
Great thanks very much!
0 Likes