ONT - wireless vs Ethernet to TV
cmullin

My ONT is installed near the TV and a coax cable runs from the ONT to my TiVo box, which services my TV. Another coax cable runs under the house to the computer room where it connects to the router. In general, wireless connectivity is fine.

Except that, the HD TV, that is connected to the TiVo, (which is connected to the ONT via coax), is also itself Internet-capable. When we access Netflix, we use the TV's wireless access to the Internet to do so. (This means it's not using the TivO connection at all when we do this.) Because the router is at the other end of the house, the internet connection to the TV is weak and streaming is spotty. The TV itself is just a few feet away from the ONT.

I think I can fix the weak signal problem by enabling the Ethernet port on the ONT and connecting an Ethernet cable directly to the TV. 

Does that sound right? Is is simply a matter of having Verizon turn on that port?

Any advice is welcome.

Charlie

0 Likes
Re: ONT - wireless vs Ethernet to TV - Use MoCA Adapter
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@cmullin wrote:

... the HD TV, that is connected to the TiVo... is also itself Internet-capable ... Because the router is at the other end of the house, the internet connection to the TV is weak and streaming is spotty ... I think I can fix the weak signal problem by enabling the Ethernet port on the ONT and connecting an Ethernet cable directly to the TV ... Is is simply a matter of having Verizon turn on that port? ...

Unfortunately it will not work.  Only a single type of WAN from the ONT is possible: either Ethernet or coax.  You presently have coax, and although you can have your service changed from coax to Ethernet WAN at the ONT, you will then lose associated TV services.  However all is not lost.

You can use the existing coax from the ONT by adding an appropriate splitter and leading coax to a MoCA adapter.  This device transforms the coax signal to Ethernet, and then you simply plug an Ethernet cable into the adapter and connect it to the TV.  Search "MoCA adapter" on this board for information on devices and wiring arrangements.
0 Likes
Re: ONT - wireless vs Ethernet to TV - Use MoCA Adapter
cmullin

Ah, that's very helpful. Thanks for the advice!

0 Likes