OTA TV with Fios Internet-only service?
dg_moore

My house is wired for tv (coax) and I have canceled my Fios cable tv and digital voice, so I now have Fios Internet-only service.  Can I connect a local antenna (w/amplifier if needed) to the coax to distribute a tv signal to my outlets without interfering with the Fios internet signal that goes to my modem/router? I don't know how the Fios signal gets to my router, and whether putting a signal on the coax network would affect that.

0 Likes
Re: OTA TV with Fios Internet-only service?
jonjones1
Legend

@dg_moore wrote:

My house is wired for tv (coax) and I have canceled my Fios cable tv and digital voice, so I now have Fios Internet-only service.  Can I connect a local antenna (w/amplifier if needed) to the coax to distribute a tv signal to my outlets without interfering with the Fios internet signal that goes to my modem/router? I don't know how the Fios signal gets to my router, and whether putting a signal on the coax network would affect that.

I would simply hook a digital antenna up to your tv and then scan for channels.

i am not sure that what you wish to do would work. But you could always try it then if it does not work just plug the antenna in the tv directly.

Good Luck 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

May work depending on how strong an antenna signal you get.

If your router gets internet via coax, the just make sure that you disconnect router from splitter. Have router connect straight to ont.

0 Likes
Greenguymobile
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is pretty simple and straight forward to do.  You will need a way to identify where each of the cables from your Fios coax splitter goes, and a new amplified splitter.  I am assuming that you have only the 1 router, and all the coax cables from the Fios splitter go to TV's throughout your home.

First identify the cables - if you cannot see where they go, you can use a cable tester, I used a "Perfect Vision Pocket Cable tester" ($14 on Amazon) an easy way to identify individual cables. 

Then connect the cable coming from the Fios Box (ONT) to the input of the fios splitter, directly to the cable going from the fios splitter to your Fios router.   You will need a "F-type RG6 Connector for this. It costs a few cents. So you have connected the Fios signal directly to your router. 

Now you will take the other cables from the Fios splitter and reconnect them to outputs of a new "Signal Amplified splitter", and use your incoming Local antenna coax cable as the input to that splitter.  I used a Channel Master 3418 - $37 on Amazon. 

I have 5 TV's and the above system works perfectly for me.

Good luck

0 Likes