OTN At New Residence only Supports 50/50. How to upgrade?
ttgooner

I'm relocating to a new area and wouldn't mind sticking with Verizon. However after speaking with Verizon customer service and also checking myself, the only internet service they offer is the 50 mbps one (50/50). I spent about an hour today with someone from verizon who was able to check with tech and reported to me that the issue is that the OTN at the new residence can only support 50 mbps max. Support was very vague about the possibility about an upgrade but I'm wondering if I can just order an upgrade once I actually move (immediately after closing).  I wouldn't mind going a few weeks with 50 mbps but not long term. Does anyone know if Verizon will come do the upgrade if I ask? This is a single family home and not part of any development. Is there any other obstacle besides the OTN which I assume is in the house?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: OTN At New Residence only Supports 50/50. How to upgrade?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're transferring service from one residence to another and you have a FiOS plan faster than 75Mbps/75Mbps, OR if you're signing up as a new customer at the new residence, Verizon should automatically get a work order to come out and replace your ONT. I believe they do not charge an upgrade fee in both of these situations. ONLY if you're upgrading an existing account's speed.

The new 200/200 plan as mentioned above actually runs at 300Mbps. So if you don't have FiOS now, just order it as a new plan, and on your install date, a tech will come out, replace the ONT, and install Ethernet to where you want the router. You should get around 300Mbps out of it 🙂

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

It is not really that difficult to have Verizon fios to upgrade your ONT.  

Try using this link from here:

Verizon Direct forum | DSLReports, ISP Information

This is where you can ask for a Fast ticket to be opened. This site requires you to join but it is free and they don't spam you. Also the Verizon direct is only between you and Verizon. They are very good at this site.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You likely have an older BPON ONT, which needs to be replaced to get higher speeds. A service representative can and should schedule you a tech visit to replace the ONT and upgrade the service. You can contact the Social Media support team on Facebook or Twitter. They are 24/7/365, so feel free to make service requests at any time.

There's likely a one-time $149 speed-upgrade fee. After the speed upgrade, you should be subject to Mix and Match pricing, which is $40/mo for 300/300, so 6 times the current speed for less (?). You can bring in your own router to avoid the monthly rental fee too.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're transferring service from one residence to another and you have a FiOS plan faster than 75Mbps/75Mbps, OR if you're signing up as a new customer at the new residence, Verizon should automatically get a work order to come out and replace your ONT. I believe they do not charge an upgrade fee in both of these situations. ONLY if you're upgrading an existing account's speed.

The new 200/200 plan as mentioned above actually runs at 300Mbps. So if you don't have FiOS now, just order it as a new plan, and on your install date, a tech will come out, replace the ONT, and install Ethernet to where you want the router. You should get around 300Mbps out of it 🙂

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Last week I upgraded my Internet speed from 75/75 to 400/400.

Verizon offered to waive the $149 fee associated with switching out the old Tellabs 611 with an Alcatel-Lucent I-211M-L.

Next month I'll know for sure if the promotion was implemented. 😐