Observation Re: FIOS Internet Service After One Month's Experience
Curmudgeon101

I switched from Comcast Triple Play to Verizon Triple Play a month ago.  My Internet download speeds at both vendors was/is comparable: 100 MBps.  I have FIOS fiber optic to the box on the side of the house; from there, it travels via my installled copper wire cable.  PC is connected to modem via Ethernet cable.  This observation is purely about the ability to access the Internet on my PC.  My basis for comparison is my previous service with Comcast.

As the day goes on, accessing web pages becomes increasingly difficult, no doubt due to that blame-for-everything-the-vendor-can't-fix thing: "CONGESTION."  Around dark, it becomes virtually impossible to even access Speedtest.org; if you are lucky enough to get a connection, the download speed is always what Verizon promises.

I NEVER had this problem with Comcast, so there is something about "CONGESTION" Comcast has figured out, but Verizon hasn't.

In my house, at this point, the Internet WWW is functionally inoperative after 5 PM.  If the situation cannot be improved, then I will be returning to Comcast.  There is plenty I don't like about their operation, but at least they provided the Internet access they promised.

0 Likes
Re: Observation Re: FIOS Internet Service After One Month's Experience
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

So that we know - if your speed is always fine when you manage to get a speed test to oad, but sites do refuse to load. Did you try other DNS servers from the Verizon Default servers? If not, give them a try. OpenDNS or Google DNS are good choices to use.

Also, please provide either an MTR or a traceroute to a problem site. This will help us identify any bad points along the way during the evening.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Curmudgeon10 wrote:

I switched from Comcast Triple Play to Verizon Triple Play a month ago.  My Internet download speeds at both vendors was/is comparable: 100 MBps.  I have FIOS fiber optic to the box on the side of the house; from there, it travels via my installled copper wire cable.  PC is connected to modem via Ethernet cable.  This observation is purely about the ability to access the Internet on my PC.  My basis for comparison is my previous service with Comcast.

As the day goes on, accessing web pages becomes increasingly difficult, no dou

What is the installed copper wire cable you refer to that is connected to the router - NOTE not a modem

Coax or ethernet?

0 Likes
Curmudgeon101

My house has copper cable (RG- something) installed.  The Verizon signal at the box outside connects to this cable because the house is completely finished inside and there was no way to run ethernet to the PC short of opening walls, which I wasn't prepared to do.  This cable run, BTW, is shorter physically and goes through less splits than the Comcast routing that I had previously.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Prtty sure that if ytou have 100Mbps Internet, Verizon would require ethernet to your router.

So your PC connects to the router wirelessly?

Any way to test it with an ethernet connection to rotuer to see if that helps?

It is possible you are getting some sort of interference on your wireless that is causing the issue.

0 Likes