Odd Phone Call-virus?
2littletime
Enthusiast - Level 1

I received a call claiming my ip address was sending out viruses. Is this true? Why would a company other than verizon contact me to tell me this. I hung up on them because it seemed too weird. Guy sounded like he was from India. Has anyone else had a call like this claiming your service was sending out viruses?  Just updated and scanned my system --- clean thank goodness.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Odd Phone Call-virus?
Justin46
Legend

@2littletime wrote:

I received a call claiming my ip address was sending out viruses. Is this true? Why would a company other than verizon contact me to tell me this. I hung up on them because it seemed too weird. Guy sounded like he was from India. Has anyone else had a call like this claiming your service was sending out viruses?  Just updated and scanned my system --- clean thank goodness.

It is a scam. Here is a link that discusses this type of thing:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26182956-My-Computer-is-calling-for-help-from-a-telemarketer-

Be sure to read down far enough for the post that talks about the "heavy Indian accent" Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@2littletime wrote:

It is a scam. Here is a link that discusses this type of thing:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26182956-My-Computer-is-calling-for-help-from-a-telemarketer-

Be sure to read down far enough for the post that talks about the "heavy Indian accent" Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
2littletime
Enthusiast - Level 1

Kind of figured it was a scam.  Been very pleased with the software that has prevented virus, etc. problems to this point.  I did have some fun asking the guy who he was and what was company he was calling from. End with the don't believe you and hung up.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I received a similar call last week. I was well aware of it being a scam. The number it appered to come from was 2827262524 which I assume is one of those spoofed/out of service numbers they always call from.

0 Likes