Office 300' from House
ExtendedOffice

I have a second garage on my property that is 300 ft. from my home FIOS ONT. I am planning on converting it into an office and would like to extend my internet, television, and add an additional telephone number to ring in that office. I will have a trench dug to extend electricity, but understand that if I were to run coax and/or Cat 6 in the same trench I would get electrical interference on the lines.

I wonder if a 300m fibre optic cable is the solution? From what I've read, it seems to be the solution for internet and television . . . but I haven't been able to locate answers regarding the telephone line.  Can someone help me out here?

0 Likes
Re: Office 300' from House
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other customers here.

Running wires between buildings can get tricky.  It's best to consult with a expert who understands proper grounding techniques in order to avoid lighting damage.

In your case, you'd need to run twisted pair fo phone and a coax for TV/Internet.  You could then use a MoCA bridge to provide an RJ45 Ethernet port in the office.  Both the twisted pair and coax will be connected to the ONT and as such, should have the appropriate lightning protection installed at both ends.

There may be local building codes about these types of runs.  That's why it's important to talk to a local expert.  If you're hiring an electrician to handle the mains power, she should be able to advise you on the low-voltage requirements as well.

Verizon, too, may have some guidance and procedures they want followed when connecting out-of-building wires to the ONT.

Good Luck.

0 Likes