Ok to detach the fibre cable from the ONT for a few minutes?
JustLance
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

My Fios installation was done last week, and due to Covid concerns, I asked the tech to leave the modem (the ONT) on a table in the entryway. I asked him to leave enough extra cable so I could relocate the box into a nearby cabinet after he left.

Here's an image of the Fios box

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Mp27pxbBEW15M3PB8

It would be easier to move the box and tack the fiber wire to the baseboard if I can disconnect it from the box. But I've never dealt with this type of connector before and don't know what the behavior of the service would be if I detach. 

What if anything do I need to know before detaching that cable from the back of the box? It's got a screw holding it on there, and beyond that, I don't know how it work, or if I'm allowed to detach it.

Thanks for your help,

Lance

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Ok to detach the fibre cable from the ONT for a few minutes?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Detach fiber connection? This can be done I think.

I think there is a screw on the SC connector you need to unscrew first. Then the fiber cable can come out.

Just be aware of the laser light in the fiber. It can blind your eyes pretty quickly if you stare at the beam. I think the laser is class 2 and above.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Detach fiber connection? This can be done I think.

I think there is a screw on the SC connector you need to unscrew first. Then the fiber cable can come out.

Just be aware of the laser light in the fiber. It can blind your eyes pretty quickly if you stare at the beam. I think the laser is class 2 and above.

JustLance
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Cang!

Sounds like good advice about the laser. Will take precautions with that. 

Going to do this job next week. I'll post if I have issues, otherwise assume it all went well. 

Best and thanks,

Lance