Old ONT? Switching from COAX to Ethernet still possible?
SmithCassidy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello, I have a few questions...

I have an Alcatel ONT installed outside with a manufactured date of 2008.  (pic attached)

1) Will that be a problem if I'm interested in switching my internet service from COAX to Ethernet?  

2) It seems the Ethernet port is currently occupied with an internal cable (originates within the box).  Is that the ethernet port I will be using?  If so, I assume I can unplug the cable without impacting service, right?

Currently we are Internet and TV subscribers, but we will be cutting the TV cord if/when this switch from COAX to Ethernet internet occurs.

Thanks for you help!

imageEthernet Port?imageimageONT model

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Old ONT? Switching from COAX to Ethernet still possible?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The green cable running to a termination block is for helping technicians or users who are more familiar with telephone wiring to create an RJ-45 compatible connection to the ONT. It's also for situations where a technician doesn't have a crimper and RJ-45 ends.

You can just unplug the green cable and ask Verizon to enable the ONT's Ethernet port, once you have your own cable in place. If you want to terminate down to the installed terminal, you can do so. Just make sure to preserve the twists in the cabling or you'll run the risk of packet loss.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

The Alcatel is what is in use at our home. We use gigabyte service and it is able to give you higher speed.

the installers will transfer from coaxial to ethernet when the arrive. You personally should not be doing anything to your ONT. it is Verizon property and not to be played with.

There is also more than one ethernet connection.  So let Verizon do the work.

0 Likes
SmithCassidy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the reply, Jon.

You're suggesting we have a technician come to the house to plug in the ethernet cable?  I thought turning on the ethernet functionality of the ONT (provisioning?) was able to be done remotely?  And I plan on running the ethernet cable into the house, so I'm not sure how much there would be for a technician to do?  Or the cost?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@SmithCassidy wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Jon.

You're suggesting we have a technician come to the house to plug in the ethernet cable?  I thought turning on the ethernet functionality of the ONT (provisioning?) was able to be done remotely?  And I plan on running the ethernet cable into the house, so I'm not sure how much there would be for a technician to do?  Or the cost?

It’s true you can have it done remotely and would be efficient and no cost.

i must have misunderstood. Yes if you run the ethernet from the ONT to your WAN port on your router you should be good to go.

My apologies.

And a simple phone call can get you provisioned for the correct speeds.

0 Likes
SmithCassidy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks again for the reply, jon.

So running the cable myself and turning the port on remotely shouldn't be much of a problem...but what about question 2...

2) It seems the Ethernet port is currently occupied with an internal cable (originates within the box).  Is that the ethernet port I will be using?  If so, I assume I can unplug the cable without impacting service, right?

I'm still not clear on the green cable plugged into what I believe to be the lone ethernet port in the ONT.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

I am trying to remember what the installer did. There are two sides on the Alcatel ONT

one side is Verizon only which should have the fiber connection plugged in.

the other side is user available, there should be two ethernet ports and also coaxial connections(MOCA) I believe from the ont

Alcatel O-211M-H SFU Exterior 1: MoCA 1: 10/100/1G Ethernet

i am not certain on what that green rj-45 is. That is why I said it easier to get Verizon to do it.

this website although old does mention having Verizon Fios do it.

https://www.groundedreason.com/use-router-fios-internet/

It also explains the setup of the service via moca and then there may be a reason to get verizon to switch it over.

However I am still researching the issue.

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You stated you have Internet and TV service. Do you have wired telephone service? 

The only component I see the Ethernet connecting too is a phone service block with nothing attached to it.

I'd say your safe to unplug the green cable. If something stops working you can always switch back easily. 

jonjones1
Legend

@JustinG wrote:

You stated you have Internet and TV service. Do you have wired telephone service? 

The only component I see the Ethernet connecting too is a phone service block with nothing attached to it.

I'd say your safe to unplug the green cable. If something stops working you can always switch back easily. 

I am not sure about unplugging the green rj-45 from its connection. I have internet only with no tv or phone. I believe the installer used the fiber that came down the top of our house and made a connection that powered up the ont. However no physical power until he ran the power cord into the home to a wall outlet. He then took about 100 ft of cat5e and made a connector for the routers WAN port, I did not pay attention if he made a connector to the other end to plug it in. However it’s -12 degrees outside so I don’t want to freeze to open the ont to look. My spider senses are saying leave the green connection alone. 

0 Likes
SmithCassidy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Justin,

Never had any wired phone service in this house...all cellular. 

@JustinG wrote:

Regarding the bold above, that's the way I see it as well...not necessarily a loop, but a self-termination of sorts.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
SmithCassidy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, Jon...I agree, need to find out more about the green cable plugged into the port.

And definitely stay inside...it's brutal out there! 😎

0 Likes