On Coax and wanting to bridge
Reinvented

hi Verizon Support,

I was wondering if it's possible to put the Westell 9100EM into a bridge mode so that I could use my own router?  I'm currently connected via coax, and really dislike the configuration and GUI of the Westell.  Was hoping that there was some settings I could change to achieve this, short of getting a cat5 run through and then having support activate that at the ONT. 

Currently my setup just consists of a Westell 9100EM to a D-Link DGL-4500.  I don't like having to really pass through the Westell at all.  So, I'm hoping there is a way for this to be accomplished.

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: On Coax and wanting to bridge
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

No one that I'm aware of has found a way to bridge the Westell.

Your only option if you want your router as primary is to switch your WAN connection from coax to cat5.

You should review the following FAQ.  Placing your router as primary does have some issues.

What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Reinvented wrote:

hi Verizon Support,

I was wondering if it's possible to put the Westell 9100EM into a bridge mode so that I could use my own router?  I'm currently connected via coax, and really dislike the configuration and GUI of the Westell.  Was hoping that there was some settings I could change to achieve this, short of getting a cat5 run through and then having support activate that at the ONT. 

Currently my setup just consists of a Westell 9100EM to a D-Link DGL-4500.  I don't like having to really pass through the Westell at all.  So, I'm hoping there is a way for this to be accomplished.

Any help would be much appreciated.

This is not verizon support, it's a peer support group.  To talk to verizon support you should follow the contact Verizon link at the top of the forums.

Here's the link to the Westell user manual that you can download.  Will tell you everything you can do with it.

http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/VersaLink7500UserGuide.pdf

I run my own router behind the Westell too.  Actually think it provides me with another layer of protection as the Westell router has some access controlled by VZ via their firmware while my router is controlled wholly by me and is closed.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

As someone pointed out, this is not Verizon support ... it's  peer forum.

The simple answer is that it is not possible to create a "bridge" mode because the router which is provided performs several functions which enable the operation of the STB's for TV which need an access path to the Internet.

If you are not a TV customer, you can request that your service from the ONT be provision on ethernet instead of Coax.  In this instance, the handoff from Verizon is a "bridged" internet connection to which you may directly attach a PC (foolishly) or may attach a NAT router of your choosing (or use Verizon's).

If you are a TV customer, the router they provide bridges together the local LAN and MoCA LAN networks on Coax so that the STB's can reach the internet.  This router can then in turn be attached to the ONT via a MoCA WAN Coax connection or a seperate ethernet.   Because Verizon needs to be able to directly communicate with this router to enable features such as the remote DVR service for STB's, it must be the first device which is directly addressable from the ONT and since it handles multiple devices, it must operate as a NAT router in order to allow each of the individual devices in the network to simulatneously access the Internet.

For someone who is a TV customer who wishes to employ their own equipment, there are a number of approaches available from choosing to operate a wireless router in "Access Point" mode to connecting the personally owned router behind the Verizon router and creating a double-NAT setup.   This latter setup is what I would recommend (and others have indicated they are using).

To setup for using your router, access the Verizon router and disable the wireless network.  Second, choose a static IP which you will use for your personal router in the 192.168.1.x network (I suggest 192.168.1.200).  On the Verizon router, place the 192.168.1.200 address in the "DMZ" on the router which will cause all inbound traffic to automatically be routed to the WAN interface of your router for disposition.   On your router, connect the WAN interface to an open LAN interface on the Verizon router and configure the WAN as "Static".   For default route, list the Verizon router (192.168.1.1) and for DNS server list the the Verizon router (192.168.1.1).  For the LAN configuration on your personal router, use a network other than 192.168.1.x (such as 192.168.2.x).  Attach all your personal computer equipment to the LAN interfaces on your router.    All port forwarding, etc. will then be done on your router and not Verizon's.