Re: Online Gaming Help
Tektronic
Enthusiast - Level 3

@EVO_Unlimited wrote:

@Tektronic wrote:
my bad http://portforward.com/

HAHA much better. Thanks for fixing it. That other site would have confused that guy to peices. lol

lol yea sorry bout that guy. I always get the name wrong !
0 Likes
bigtmonee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, the wireless connection seems really slow, but I do have another router bridged to it which I WANT to use because it connects at 100mbps instead.  The only problem with that is I cant get to that routers settings to open the ports that I need to because whenever I enter my IP address it goes to the verizon router, not my netgear one.  So can you tell me how I can get to my netgear router's settings, so I can open the ports and just use that one since its faster?  Or is there something else I should do and just keep using the verizon router (which is connecting at 24mbps right now)?

0 Likes
EVO_Unlimited
Contributor - Level 2

Your netgear router should work with teh FiOS service just fine. Try using just that router in place of the FiOS one. Netgear makes very nice and widly compatable routers.

So try using your netgear router in  place of the FiOS one, doing this will let you log into it for one, and it might resolve your lag issue as well. Gaming on limited wireless is always going to be laggy. By limited I mean the generic 54 mbps connection speed, so unless you upgrade your gear, you will get some lag going wireless.

Let me know how you make out switching out your routers.

0 Likes
bigtmonee
Enthusiast - Level 2
Ok, I'm connected through my netgear router at 104 mbps.  But I still can't get to the router's settings to open the ports.  Everytime I enter my IP address it just goes to the verizon's router's settings.  Do I have to enter a different IP address or something?
0 Likes
EVO_Unlimited
Contributor - Level 2

Try your game. if you're connected at that speed, you should be fine with lag.

By entering your IP it should take you to the router you're hooked up to.

Try resetting your ONT and battery backup unit. Then go to whatsmyip.com and get your IP, and try again. But if the router switching around fixes your lag, there wouldn't really be a need to open/forward the ports. Try your game first.

0 Likes
bigtmonee
Enthusiast - Level 2
Well i figured out why i was lagging.  I had to stop the wireless zero configuration (again).  I also switched to my netgear router because it is a way faster connection.  But everytime I enter my IP address the verizon router still comes up.  And I need to be able to open the ports because I can't make games if i dont.  So is there something I'm doing wrong?  Why can't i access my netgear's settings?
0 Likes
Tektronic
Enthusiast - Level 3
you need to change your routers default gateway to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.3.1 or whatever else for 192.168.x.x  just cant be the same
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bigtmonee wrote:
But everytime I enter my IP address the verizon router still comes up.  And I need to be able to open the ports because I can't make games if i dont.  So is there something I'm doing wrong?  Why can't i access my netgear's settings?

And besides what Tektronic said.

The company that makes the router is really confusing people.

As to why, they are doing that..

I suspect: To make it more convenient?

Anyways...

-> Use the LAN IP of the router to connect to it.

In most cases this called the default gateway.

For example if you are on Windows XP....

Go to Start -> Run.

Type in cmd and press enter.

In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

^^^
0 Likes
Tektronic
Enthusiast - Level 3
sorry couldnt figure out how to edit*** but i forgot that since u cant acess the router it would be impossible for you to change default so do this. Unplug/turn off ur actiontek and be connected to the netgear then login and change the values
0 Likes
bigtmonee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, so I was connected through my netgear router.  I used the default gateway and it led me to the netgear's settings (finally).  It asked me if I wanted to upgrade the firmware, I clicked yes.  Then my internet went down and now connecting to my netgear router isnt even an option.  Its not even showing up.  What did i do now??!!

EDIT:  Okay, just unplugged it and plugged it back in, now its working.

Message Edited by bigtmonee on 06-20-2009 04:42 PM
EDIT:  I just tried to upgrade the firmware again and the same thing happened; I lost internet connection.  Do you have to be on a LAN to upgrade the firmware or something?  Do I need to upgrade it?
Message Edited by bigtmonee on 06-20-2009 04:48 PM
0 Likes