Open a port
whobber2000

Trying to set up open a port to allow use of my office phone hooked up to my router, a Westell 9100EM.  After talking to live chat, was referred to paid support.  After 30 minutes, tech helped me add the rules necessary until it came time to add IP address, he was not sure and after several attempts, it still did not the ip address.  I was able to ping the address but  still can't finish setting up the rules.  Getting very frustrated as is my boss as he can't speak to me when i work from home except on a mobile phone.

I am running a Mac with Parallels running XP.  I log  in via a VPN.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

0 Likes
Re: Open a port
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is this a Soft Phone or a regular VoIP desk phone of some sort?

If a Soft Phone, where is that software running?  In the Parallel's instance?   What kind of software is it?

Where are you running the VPN client?  On the Mac or in the Parallels instannce?

What IP did the tech say he could not figure out?

0 Likes
whobber2000

Is this a Soft Phone or a regular VoIP desk phone of some sort?  It is a Polycom desk phone.

If a Soft Phone, where is that software running?  In the Parallel's instance?   What kind of software is it? Not a soft phone.

Where are you running the VPN client?  On the Mac or in the Parallels instannce? In the Parrallel.

What IP did the tech say he could not figure out?  The tech could not figure that out.  We actually tried several.

I got instructions from Digium Switchvox which I have followed.

Below is our firewall checklist.

*Ports that need to be forwarded on the firewall/router located where the PBX is:

5060 UDP (SIP)

10,000-20,000 UDP (RTP)

5222 TCP (Switchboard)

843 TCP (Switchboard)

443 TCP (HTTPS - remote web admin)

22 TCP (SSH)

* The following need to be opened at the remote user's firewall/router as well and doesn't have to be forwarded.  This does not include the SSH or HTTPS ports since a standard user will not have to SSH or log into the web admin remotely.

5060 UDP (SIP)

10,000-20,000 UDP (RTP)

5222 TCP (Switchboard)

843 TCP (Switchboard)

*If all else fails, start disabling the security features on your firewall/router one by one to see if you can identify which feature is causing the issue. 

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK .... desk phone.

I assume you've plugged the phone directly into the router?   If so, the phone should pick up an address automatically.

Many phones have two ethernet connectors on that -- one to connect to the router (looks the a LAN symbol next to it normally) and one to connect to a PC (looks like a little computer symbol next to it normally).   This allows you to use the same ethernet connection for both the computer and then phone.   Make sure you have the router plugged into the LAN connection on the phone (it won't work the other way around).

We'll want to go into the router (http://192.168.1.1), login, Advanced Settings, IP Address Distribution, Connection List -- and let's look at what has allocated an IP address.   Post a copy of what you find on this screen so we can figure out which device is the phone.  Then we'll look at the next step.

0 Likes
whobber2000

Phone is connected.  No IP address shows up for phone as far as I can tell. 

DHCP Connections

Host Name IP Address Physical Address Lease Type Connection Name Status Expires In Action

IP-STB1 192.168.1.100 00:21:1e:a4:60:f0 Dynamic Network (Home/Office) Active 767 Minutes

computer        192.168.1.6 00:19:e3:0d:2e:8f Dynamic Network (Home/Office) Active 1415 Minutes

iPhone                        192.168.1.2 00:23:6c:29:64:25 Dynamic Network (Home/Office) Active 1414 Minutes

DiPhone                     192.168.1.5 00:21:e9:7c:84:9d Dynamic Network (Home/Office) Active 1438 Minutes

computer        192.168.1.3 00:19:e3:0d:2e:8f Static Network (Home/Office) Expired  

AppleTV                     192.168.1.7 00:1b:63:ee:d9:f4 Dynamic Network (Home/Office) Active 905 Minutes

KARENLAPTOP 192.168.1.8 0c:60:76:32:b3:b8 Static Network (Home/Office) Expired  

computer-2    192.168.1.9 00:16:cb:c3:27:bd Static Network (Home/Office) Expired  

new-host                    192.168.1.4 00:1c:b3:b7:6e:04 Dynamic Network (Home/Office) Active 545 Minutes  

joehizon5124             192.168.1.10 00:2b:e7:54:12:8a Dynamic Network (Home/Office) Active 1297 Minutes

IP-STB2                     192.168.1.101 00:24:a0:1d:01:0e Dynamic Network (Home/Office) Active 767 Minutes

new-host-2     192.168.1.11 00:04:f2:11:f2:a9 Dynamic Network (Home/Office) Active 1376 Minutes  

New Static Connection            

Phone is connected but can't seem to see an IP address.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

So, there are two "new-host" entries ... could be one of them.     On the phone, look for a sticker or label (maybe on back or underneath).   We're looking for the MAC address so that we can try to match it up with on of the devices shown.

In fact, the 00:04 is the prefix associated with the Mac on my Polycom, so that's likely the phone.

Let's go back into the configuration again and confirm that the IP address is still the one you found (and if you can find the Mac address label on the phone, compare it to be sure).   Then go into the Firewall Settings screen and find the DMZ host setting and make the IP address of the phone the DMZ host.   Save and Apply.

If this ends up working, we can work on making it so that the IP address of the phone won't change.