Optical Network Terminal reboot to fix FIOS Internet issues. why?
rabrew13

Why am i having to reboot the Optical Network Terminal all the time now?  It takes 45+Min on the phone or through the MyFIOS app to get this done.  This unreliability is getting ridiculous... its the last step that the canned support script runs through... it's getting really frustrating.  This last time i called in, I asked them to skip straight to this step, but no... they have to have me walk every other item first before that.  Unacceptable... 

Response from the last service tech when i asked why this keeps happening, and for someone to take some accountabilkity vs running me through this every weekend...  'hey I just work here, i don't own the company or maintain the network' ... perfect.   

Come on FIOS, lets get the ONT more reliable.  regular reboots should not be a standard procedure. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Optical Network Terminal reboot to fix FIOS Internet issues. why?
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've had two ONTs in over a decade (with the new one replacing the first one less than a year ago), so for me at least, they have been incredibly reliable. Mine's installed outside on the side of my house, too. No protection from the elements at all. That said, the reason the first one had to be replaced is that it started having serious signal degradation on the lower frequencies, which made the lower FiOS TV channels anywhere from a little stutter to not watchable. If this is a new behavior, your ONT may well be going bad, too.

View solution in original post

Re: Optical Network Terminal reboot to fix FIOS Internet issues. why?
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've had two ONTs in over a decade (with the new one replacing the first one less than a year ago), so for me at least, they have been incredibly reliable. Mine's installed outside on the side of my house, too. No protection from the elements at all. That said, the reason the first one had to be replaced is that it started having serious signal degradation on the lower frequencies, which made the lower FiOS TV channels anywhere from a little stutter to not watchable. If this is a new behavior, your ONT may well be going bad, too.