Options for PS3 connection beyond wireless range
RJ1001

I'm technically challenged, so bear with me..

The coax from the Verizon box splits in my attic - 1 line goes to my m1424wr wireless router and the other goes across the house to my FIOS DVR. My PS3 is sitting right next to the DVR but it's too far from the wireless router to get a solid signal.

My questions is this -  can I split the coax running to the DVR so that I can use it as the internet connection for both the DVR and the PS3? (wired or another router) Or do I have to use the internet connection at the current router? (wireless repeater, powerline adapter, run a cat5, etc..)

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Options for PS3 connection beyond wireless range
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Yes you can do it, but with extra hardware.

You have to get something upstairs that will convert either AC power to ethernet, or the TV Signal to ethernet.  The Set top box can't do it. 

SO you would need either

AC Power line ethernet adapters (good deal for them at fatwallet.com right now)

MOCA Adapter - made specific to fios, you install it in the room, one plug for power, one plug for coax (goes to a splitter) and one plug for ethernet, goes in the back of the ps3, no configuring needed.

Another (2nd) Verizon Router, and then you have to do a lot of configurations to get it to work.

If you want the easy plug and play then you will want to do one of the first two options.

Here's an FAQ with a little more detail about it

0 Likes
RJ1001

Thanks for the response!

The MOCA solution seems like the better of the two you suggest. However, the diagram on the ECB2200V amazon page doesn't match my setup. It shows the coax backbone coming from the verizon router, which mine doesn't do. Mine splits in the attic before the router (like the diagram on dslreports). Does that Verizon Network adapter need the router or will it work either way? (EDIT- To that point, one of the comments claims the adapter doesn't support Verizon WAN)

Just so I'm clear, the AC powerline solution would be to have one at the outlet at the m1424wr router and the second at the PS3/DVR/TV outlet, right? This seems good, although I've been avoiding this because a guy I work with said he had headaches with his powerline install and ultimately abandoned it.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Powerline reduces in speed the farther you are away from it, but generally unless your wiring is very old or you've got very noisy electrical the Powerline adapters typically work pretty well.

The two MoCa adapters mentioned will work fine. Verizon's own adapter is in fact from ActionTec. Even if the diagram shows it going from the Verizon router to the bridge, as long as the Verizon router is connected to the same Coaxial network as the Bridge and DVR are connected to (which is most likely the case, along with the ONT for MoCa WAN connectivity), the MoCa bridge will work. MoCa is after all how the Set Top Box gets it's guide and gadget data, and runs VOD. Rule of thumb is, same Coaxial network as set top boxes, it should work without an issue as long as you haven't gone over MoCa's device limit of 16 coaxial devices I believe per MoCa Network.

So yes. Use a 5-1000Mhz (1Ghz) bi-directional (!) splitter with two legs and ideally low attenuation for splitting the feed going to your Set Top Box. Put the STB on one leg, MoCa brige on the other, and watch it work. As a note, Verizon gives out splitters from PDI but other brands granted you meet the criteria above should work fine with FiOS. As long as your MoCA speed stays above 200Mbps and TV is not pixelating you're golden.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

The problem I find with power line adapters is that the two electrical outlets have to be on the same continuous circuit. 

Houses have multiple.   That is why sometimes the kitchen might go out and your garage may go out but the rest of the house is fine.  Those two locations are on the same circuit.   So that is when power line works really well.  If they are on different circuits then I wouldn't expect them to work well at all.  I think the MOCA adapters will serve you well.

0 Likes