Re: Ordering FiOS Internet with own equipment and ONT Ethernet enabled
BigbirdPhila
Contributor - Level 1

@viafax999 wrote:
They change the ont setting to output the ethernet signal to the ethernet port and then reboot the ont.

What's on the fiber optic line *before* they change the output of the ONT to be Ethernet?  When it was coax, what was being transmitted differently from when it was switched over to Ethernet?  , 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nothing is different on the fiber optic.

However the ont switches from sending wan signals over the moca (COAX) to wan signals over the ethernet.

0 Likes
matthewhuie
The Ethernet cable is fine. From a packet capture, I'm not getting a DHCPOFFER back from Verizon's end, whenever a request is sent.

Anyone know if additional setup is needed on Verizon's end?

On a side note, does Verizon have any native IPv6 support? If so, how large of a subnet block is assigned to each customer?
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

No IPv6 support, although it is coming at some point. The smallest Verizon should ever offer is a /64 subnet. Anything smaller than that breaks all sorts of stuff, and makes the transition to IPv6 a bit more messy.

Verizon doesn't send a DHCPOFFER until the DHCP Lease has expired. This can take a few hours of leaving the ONT running with the router powered down. When you change from Coax to Ethernet, the MAC Address changes.  I assume you've tried this already, but leave the router off while you're out and about, then turn it on.

If you don't want to a wait a few hours, ask Verizon FSC to release your DHCP Lease. This should fix the problem you're having.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@matthewhuie wrote:
The Ethernet cable is fine. From a packet capture, I'm not getting a DHCPOFFER back from Verizon's end, whenever a request is sent.

Anyone know if additional setup is needed on Verizon's end?

On a side note, does Verizon have any native IPv6 support? If so, how large of a subnet block is assigned to each customer?

Does your packet capture show anything arriving via the ethernet port?

Did you try connecting another device, other than the router, to the ethernet port?

0 Likes
matthewhuie

I can see some broadcast frames coming through Ethernet, but that's about it.  I've tried different devices, but no luck.

Does Verizon do any sort of port sticky or DHCP MAC address sticky?  I've read articles about people needing to clone a MAC address of a previously connected modem/router (whether it be Verizon-branded or third-party).  Since I haven't had any previous equipment connected, how can I get Verizon to authorize my device?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@matthewhuie wrote:

I can see some broadcast frames coming through Ethernet, but that's about it.  I've tried different devices, but no luck.

Does Verizon do any sort of port sticky or DHCP MAC address sticky?  I've read articles about people needing to clone a MAC address of a previously connected modem/router (whether it be Verizon-branded or third-party).  Since I haven't had any previous equipment connected, how can I get Verizon to authorize my device?

At this point I would believe you need to contact support.  As you've never had a device connected there is no issue with stuck dhcp assignments.  There is nothing that Verizon has to do once they have enabled the ONT ethernet port correctly.  It would seem that you have a defective ONT or they didn't activate the ethernet port correctly.  Either way tech support should be the people to analyze that

0 Likes