Ordering FiOS Internet with own equipment and ONT Ethernet enabled
matthewhuie

Is it possible at all to order FiOS service, using only my own router?  I believe this requires the ONT to be Ethernet-enabled instead of coaxial.

Any one have luck with getting this done?

0 Likes
Re: Ordering FiOS Internet with own equipment and ONT Ethernet enabled
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, you can do that. All you really have to do is explain to the installer when he comes that you want the connection over Ethernet to your own router.

Another helpful thing to do is run the ethernet cable already from where you will be having the ONT installed to the router, this speeds up the process and makes the installer happy.

Will you be ordering FiOS TV as well? If you are, there are some changes that need to be made (you will have to keep the Verizon router on your network to give the TVs data).

If your not ordering TV and have internet only, then this process will be super simple. Some installers are fine with activiting ethernet immediately, others sometimes push you to go with Coax. Either way keep pushing for the ethernet port to be enabled.

Hope this helped.

0 Likes
matthewhuie

Thanks for your reply!

I won't be ordering FiOS TV at all.  What I'm looking to do is opening a new account for FiOS Internet without having to own/rent the Verizon router at any point in time.  I'm hoping that I can just plug my Ethernet-enabled router into the ONT.  Will I encounter any issues?  

My concern is that the Verizon rep, who processes my order, will likely want to ensure that I have a Verizon router at my residence.  Any experiences with this?

@JustinG wrote:

Yes, you can do that. All you really have to do is explain to the installer when he comes that you want the connection over Ethernet to your own router.

Another helpful thing to do is run the ethernet cable already from where you will be having the ONT installed to the router, this speeds up the process and makes the installer happy.

Will you be ordering FiOS TV as well? If you are, there are some changes that need to be made (you will have to keep the Verizon router on your network to give the TVs data).

If your not ordering TV and have internet only, then this process will be super simple. Some installers are fine with activiting ethernet immediately, others sometimes push you to go with Coax. Either way keep pushing for the ethernet port to be enabled.

Hope this helped.

0 Likes
Speedy13
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you place the order online for equipment you can choose customer supplied router.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As Speedy said above, checking out online will be the easiest way to tell Verizon you don't want their router.

Now as for problems, its very unlikely that you will have any issues with your own personal router on the Verizon network, after changing over 8 Verizon routers at 8 different locations, I have yet to encounter a problem with any of them. Be sure to come back and post for help if you do have any questions about your router/setup Smiley Happy

0 Likes
matthewhuie

Thank you both for your help!

I managed to get my 50/50 ordered in store, without equipment rental.  In addition, I contacted Tech Support online and they switched my ONT onto Ethernet.

However, I'm not able to get a DHCP lease facing Verizon's end.  Is the Verizon backend expecting an Actiontec/Verizon-brnaded MAC address?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you getting a link light on both ends (ont and router)?

0 Likes
BigbirdPhila
Contributor - Level 1

@matthewhuie wrote:

I contacted Tech Support online and they switched my ONT onto Ethernet.

What exactly happens when they switch someone to Ethernet?  Is can't be just that a C5/C6 cable is used after the ONT, can it?  Do they do something further up the network?  Does the content of what's coming on the fiber optic cable change and, if so, what is it?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@BigbirdPhila wrote:

@matthewhuie wrote:

I contacted Tech Support online and they switched my ONT onto Ethernet.

What exactly happens when they switch someone to Ethernet?  Is can't be just that a C5/C6 cable is used after the ONT, can it?  Do they do something further up the network?  Does the content of what's coming on the fiber optic cable change and, if so, what is it?

They change the ont setting to output the ethernet signal to the ethernet port and then reboot the ont.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@matthewhuie wrote:

Thank you both for your help!

I managed to get my 50/50 ordered in store, without equipment rental.  In addition, I contacted Tech Support online and they switched my ONT onto Ethernet.

However, I'm not able to get a DHCP lease facing Verizon's end.  Is the Verizon backend expecting an Actiontec/Verizon-brnaded MAC address?

No, the device can be anything that handles ethernet.

Did you test the ethernet cable you are using to make sure it is good?

Try connecting your machine directly to the ont ethernet port and see if it gets a dhcp address

0 Likes