Outage in Redmond, WA (98052), worst customer service EVER!!!
mafioso

I've been experiencing an outage of FiOS internet in Redmond. This in turn is freezing up my STB as well. Tried to call tech support but gave up after waiting twice for 40+ minutes and decided to go to a coffee shop with free wi-fi to get my work done.

I thought comcast customer service was bad but this is even worst. At least the comcast folks would talk to you. Anybody else facing same problems?

Here's a sample tracerourte:

C:\>tracert www.yahoo.com

Tracing route to any-fp.wa1.b.yahoo.com [72.30.2.43]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
  2     7 ms     6 ms     6 ms  L100.STTLWA-VFTTP-17.verizon-gni.net [98.117.116.1]
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

0 Likes
called rep. got after 45 min. DNS issue. NO ETA. Outage for 7+ hrs. SUCKS.
vDroidUser

0 Likes
Re: called rep. got after 45 min. DNS issue. NO ETA. Outage for 7+ hrs. SUCKS.
mafioso

I tried to see if I could change the default DNS on the router to OpenDNS servers but cannot find that option. Anybody know how to change the default DNS settings? I have MI424WR-GEN2.

0 Likes
Re: called rep. got after 45 min. DNS issue. NO ETA. Outage for 7+ hrs. SUCKS.
kevikev
Enthusiast - Level 1

Having the same experience in Redmond, too.

Some Internet sites work, most don't.

Having to resort to using web and DNS proxies.

Can't reach Google or OpenDNS DNS servers ... having to use a DNS server in JAPAN of all places.

Been on hold with FIOS support for 40+mins ... and counting.

At least the phone works, eh?

UPDATE:

I got through to a rep after 55 minutes, and the report is that it's a physical problem.

Around 5AM today, someone ran into a pole and took down a whole bunch of fiber that serves Redmond and Woodinville.

They estimate that they'll have everything restored by 10PM this evening.  They did say that the pole itself has been restored into the ground but of course, now they have to get the fiber restored, too.

Re: called rep. Got after 45 min. DNS issue. NO ETA. Outage for 7+ hrs. SUCKS.
R_E_L
Enthusiast - Level 3

THANK YOU so much for posting this.

I been trying for hours to get on the phone with support and nothing. I was once able to get to support via chat and guess what the guy did?

He said WA cannot be serviced via live chat so therefore he asked for my number (I was already on hold for 30 min), have me disconnect so he can call me and he promised he will get me through ...

All he did was, put me on hold on the same line. Horrible, just horrible customer support.

Why can't the information above about outage be published somewhere and spare me the hours and hours of trying to find the problems on my end and trying to call customer service?

BTW: I am using my cell phone to create a PAN connection with my laptop.

If someone have a good solution (if its really DNS server and not a physical location - claim I find odd as I do get some limited connectivity) then please share.

Thank you all good people who shared your experience.

mafioso

Service disruption due to damage to the fiber I can understand. But there is absolutely no excuse for the horrendous customer service experience. Good thing I have not signed up for a two year contract - one more experience like this and I am taking my business to Comcast.

0 Likes
R_E_L
Enthusiast - Level 3

Internet connection is now restored ....

0 Likes
EK
Enthusiast - Level 1

Service restored. The customer service is unacceptable - very true. Unfortunately, Verizon has a monopoly on the fiber lines. I have Comcast cable coming to my house, but I cannot think of switching because they will never deliver the FIOS speeds. And they suck too, BTW. Customer protection in US sucks in general, even compared to poor Russia. I do not have to start litigation against a company, a customer complaint should be enough for the goverment to kick their a..

R_E_L
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, soon enough, at least in our area (WA), Verizon will be replaced by Frontier Communication and I doubt its going to be any better. If anything it will get worse.

That said, I really dislike Comcast. I left them because they couldn't deliver  the speeds they advertised.

Between bad customer service in 2-3 incidents a year vs. on going unpredictable speed issues that are impossible to track ...

I suspect I will go with the speed and less then perfect customer service however, Compact is becoming very aggressive on pricing and that might actually turn me to the other side ...

0 Likes
EK
Enthusiast - Level 1

True. This is all - monopoly, no real competition. They do not have to strive, you will go to either the one or the other one, where else can we go?

0 Likes