Outbound email blacklisted
unkfrank
On 10/6, I was emailing someone at a large company with no problem. Until after 4p, when anything I tried to send (new messages, replies, etc.) to the company was rejected: SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host zzzz.zz.zzz [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: 554-zzzz.zz.zzz 554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means. Every blacklist check I've run on my own hosting company's IPs (where my mail server is) comes up clean. However, when I run the Verizon IP (173.65.xxx.xxx) it shows up on at least 4 blacklists. This could explain why I haven't received responses from a few other important contacts. Sending a note from Y! went thru fine. I can receive emails with no problem. So what can I do to get this resolved? Who can I contact at Verizon (and I don't want that link for adding to a white list at Verizon since I can receive with no problems)? Thanks
0 Likes
Re: Outbound email blacklisted
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What site (or sites) did you to check what blacklist you are on

?

#2 What blacklist are you on and why?

For example when I used http://www.blacklistalert.org/

It says, about my public IP:

l2.apews.org Listed!

abuse.rfc-ignorant.org LISTED!

l1.apews.org LISTED!

ips.whitelisted.org NOT WHITELISTED

Reverse DNS (PTR) exists and claims to be: static-71-242-***-***.phlapa.east.verizon.net.

WARNING: No matching A-Record exists for: static-71-242-***-***.phlapa.east.verizon.net.
DNS is INCONSISTENT.

Please request your Admin or Provider to fix this.

^

0 Likes
unkfrank

Using the site you provided, it gives me basically the same list of blacklists for my Verizon IP as the other ones I've used - spamhaus.org and sorbs.net seem to be the bigger ones. They both say there's a range of Verizon IPs listed:

Sorbs tells me:

Netblock: 173.65.208.0/20 (173.65.208.0-173.65.223.255)

Record Created: Wed Sep 30 01:55:43 2009 GMT

Record Updated: Wed Sep 30 01:55:43 2009 GMT

Additional Information: [#248191 - Verizon supplied list (30/09/2009)] Dynamic/Generic IP/rDNS address, use your ISPs mail server or get rDNS set to indicate static assignment. Currently active and flagged to be published in DNS

Spamhaus tells me:

Ref: PBL275273 173.65.208.0/20 is listed on the Policy Block List (PBL)

Outbound Email Policy of Verizon Online for this IP range: It is the policy of Verizon Online that unauthenticated email sent from this IP address should be sent out only via the designated outbound mail server allocated to Verizon Online customers. To find the hostname of the correct mail server to use, customers should consult the original signup documentation or contact Verizon Online Technical Support.

Removal Procedure Removal of IP addresses within this range from the PBL is not allowed by the netblock owner's policy.

The IP of my hosting company has no "listed" on the site you provides, and doesn't show on any others, so it has to be narrowed down to something Verizon. I'm not using Verizon mail, but the IP address in the headers must be getting flagged.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@unkfrank wrote:

Using the site you provided, it gives me basically the same list of blacklists for my Verizon IP as the other ones I've used - spamhaus.org and sorbs.net seem to be the bigger ones. They both say there's a range of Verizon IPs listed:

Sorbs tells me:

Netblock: 173.65.208.0/20 (173.65.208.0-173.65.223.255)

Record Created: Wed Sep 30 01:55:43 2009 GMT

Record Updated: Wed Sep 30 01:55:43 2009 GMT

Additional Information: [#248191 - Verizon supplied list (30/09/2009)] Dynamic/Generic IP/rDNS address, use your ISPs mail server or get rDNS set to indicate static assignment. Currently active and flagged to be published in DNS

Spamhaus tells me:

Ref: PBL275273 173.65.208.0/20 is listed on the Policy Block List (PBL)

Outbound Email Policy of Verizon Online for this IP range: It is the policy of Verizon Online that unauthenticated email sent from this IP address should be sent out only via the designated outbound mail server allocated to Verizon Online customers. To find the hostname of the correct mail server to use, customers should consult the original signup documentation or contact Verizon Online Technical Support.

Removal Procedure Removal of IP addresses within this range from the PBL is not allowed by the netblock owner's policy.

The IP of my hosting company has no "listed" on the site you provides, and doesn't show on any others, so it has to be narrowed down to something Verizon. I'm not using Verizon mail, but the IP address in the headers must be getting flagged.

Based on the item listed in red. Verizon has requested that address block be rejected from sending mail. It is Verizon's policy that all outbound mail for residential accounts be sent through outgoing.verizon.net mail server. This will put the correct sending IP address on the mail header. Verizon blocks or tries to block all outbound mail that does not originate from their server. Spam wars.

0 Likes
unkfrank

The thing is I can send emails (I use Thunderbird) to everyone else I've been in contact with so Verizon hasn't blocked me. It is just this one business contact who is rejecting the emails (and it seems because of the blacklist listings).

And I can't even use Verizon's email SMTP server. I set things up as per their online instructions (outgoing.verizon.net), enter my username, but my password keeps getting rejected, whether for 'Use Secure Connection' I choose No, TLS if avail, TLS, SSL.

Are they trying to force me to use a Verizon email address?

Besides, even if I use Verizon's SMTP servers, the IP address is still within the blacklisted range. I can't see how that makes a difference. Wouldn't Verizon have to change the blacklist policy?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@unkfrank wrote:

The thing is I can send emails (I use Thunderbird) to everyone else I've been in contact with so Verizon hasn't blocked me. It is just this one business contact who is rejecting the emails (and it seems because of the blacklist listings).

And I can't even use Verizon's email SMTP server. I set things up as per their online instructions (outgoing.verizon.net), enter my username, but my password keeps getting rejected, whether for 'Use Secure Connection' I choose No, TLS if avail, TLS, SSL.

Are they trying to force me to use a Verizon email address?

Besides, even if I use Verizon's SMTP servers, the IP address is still within the blacklisted range. I can't see how that makes a difference. Wouldn't Verizon have to change the blacklist policy?

Does your verizon.net inbound mail get recieved when you set the pop3 server? The user name and password should be the same that is used to get your inbound mail and or webmail. If the verizon smtp server is not letting you send mail, I would contact tech support.

0 Likes
unkfrank

I wasn't using verizon.net either POP3 or SMTP before. Spent 20 minutes w/ tech#1 - told him how I changed the email SMTP settings to what is instructed on the website (HA! - see below) and couldn't connect outgoing. Tech #1 said turn off router would reboot on his end and I'd get new IP address.  Turned router back on after 20 minutes - same IP same problems.

Back to chat with tech #2. This was at least a 45 minute chat. Explained problem again. Explained how I set up outgoing email. He said it was wrong (even though I told him I went by what was on the website:

• Outgoing mail server (SMTP😞 outgoing.verizon.net  (WRONG - outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net)
  • Your Verizon Online user name (To me Online User Name != Webmail User Name   Could be the same but why not say xxxxxxxx@verizon.net)
  • Your Verizon Online password (Again, these can be different)
  • Nothing about "Use Secure Connection", nothing about "Port Setting" (which is different from the default)  and that is a totally different discussion for another topic...

Verified settings were correct, verified the "From" address was accurate and setup on Y!, but still got error message saying Y! could not verify "From" address not, so can't even send it. He said it "should work with the settings, using the user@verizon.net as a 'workaround' " then came back and said there was an open issue with Y! and sending from email clients. So we are using Y! becuase??????????????????????

After the 45+ min session, I left it as he would again reboot the system after I turned off my router. After rebooting, I did get a new IP. Now my email is back working as it was (especially going to that one business contact), and I am using my email server on my hosting company again.

All in all, I appreciate the second tech's willingness to help (tech #1 did not tell me anything that tech #2 told me, or said was wrong). Having incorrect and/or incomplete information in a Help or Settings section on a website is just lazy and sloppy. But if I am going to have this potential problem again, I may have to look at other options.

0 Likes
    prisaz
    Legend

It is a shame to see you having so much difficulty. If you like some had opted for a yahoo option for your Email account. Then perhaps the outgoing.verizon.net had never been configured. The outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net will be different accounts and passwords to the best of my knowledge, and your Verizon online will be different then your verizon.net account.

My Accounts

Verizon.com one user name and password. For managing billing, account and services.

Verizon.net another user name and password. This is what I use for verizon.net webmail, POP3 incoming.verizon.net and SMTP at outgoing.verizon.net

msn.com for my name@msn.com another user name and password. Carry over from DSL account and no longer available with msn browser. I currently use the connector option with outlook for this account.

Your verizon.com account user name and password should have nothing to do with email or anything on verizon.net.

Good luck and I hope you get it worked out. I have had Email with Verizon for years and years, and they only problems I have ever had are the following.

Blacklist wars between Verizon and Comcast. Which has pretty much been worked out since all mail is now required to go though Verizon's SMTP server.

Mail delays for a while this past year when a mail server was not forwarding mail. Really upset a few. I think we should be able to send our email through what ever server we wish. And limiting that in my opinion violates net neutrality rules. But who am I to say. I am just a customer.

0 Likes
    VZ_JoeD
    Contributor - Level 1

@unkfrank wrote:
    On 10/6, I was emailing someone at a large company with no problem. Until after 4p, when anything I tried to send (new messages, replies, etc.) to the company was rejected: SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host zzzz.zz.zzz [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: 554-zzzz.zz.zzz 554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means. Every blacklist check I've run on my own hosting company's IPs (where my mail server is) comes up clean. However, when I run the Verizon IP (173.65.xxx.xxx) it shows up on at least 4 blacklists. This could explain why I haven't received responses from a few other important contacts. Sending a note from Y! went thru fine. I can receive emails with no problem. So what can I do to get this resolved? Who can I contact at Verizon (and I don't want that link for adding to a white list at Verizon since I can receive with no problems)? Thanks

Has this issue been resolved? Possible your WAN IP reverse DNS record doesn't match your mail server DNS name.

0 Likes
    unkfrank

I can now send emails to the one main business contact I had major problems doing so, if that is what you mean.  I received a new IP, but that IP is still listed on Spamhaus and SORBS blacklists. I have not tried using the Y!/Verizon SMTP server since I had no problems with any other emails even when anything I sent to Company A was refused with the following message:

554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.

So whether or not the problem connecting to the Yahoo/Verizon SMTP server was resolved, I have no answer. I haven't asked Company A, but I am assuming that they did something on their end like adding me to a whitelist that resolved the situation.

0 Likes