Own Modem
Greenguymobile
Enthusiast - Level 2

I want to connect my own router-New Linksys Velop) directly to the (activated) Cat 5e RJ45 port on the ONT.  Do I need a Modem between my router and the ONT? Or just connect directly from ONT to Wan Port on router?

0 Likes
Re: Own Modem
jonjones1
Legend

@greenguy wrote:

I want to connect my own router-New Linksys Velop) directly to the (activated) Cat 5e RJ45 port on the ONT.  Do I need a Modem between my router and the ONT? Or just connect directly from ONT to Wan Port on router?

Simple Ethernet to your own router from ont.

but hook it in before you power up the router. After it's hooked and you power it on then it should obtain DNS from Verizon 

Greenguymobile
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you. That's what I thought, but when I phoned Verizon tech for confirmation, first call told me Modem is needed, second call said Modem not needed.  I agree with no Modem.  Thanks and regards / George

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@greenguy wrote:

Thank you. That's what I thought, but when I phoned Verizon tech for confirmation, first call told me Modem is needed, second call said Modem not needed.  I agree with no Modem.  Thanks and regards / George

No modem with Fios. Just routers.

you can use your own router, but Verizon balks at supporting it.

now I keep a Quantum Gateway Router available. You can use that and put your own router in Access Point Mode (AP) and just use Verizon's router for dhcp and all the rest on your own router.

or just use your own as I stated earlier.

Good Luck 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just an FYI, FIOS does not use modems.

The device that Verizon sells is just a router.

If you have TV service with Verizon STBs, you might want to use a Verizon router as it allwos them to open up all the appropriate ports to allows all functionality.

But if you have Internet and TV w/o STBs or Internet only, you are good to go with your own router.