PER VERIZON: There is NO WIRELESS N Router (period)
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

After about an hour on the phone and 4 Customer Servivce/Tech reps I was told by Agent Sahja that "Verizon does not have a Wrieless N Router."  She went on to say that the ActionTec Model MI424-WR-G is in fact a Wirless G router, not Wireless N, and repeated several times that it is NOT POSSIBLE to get a Wireless N router from Verizon.

She confirmed that my current router, Actiontec Model MI424-WR-C is a Wirelss G router and is the latest router Verizon supplies. I asked her why  my router's model niumber is -C and not -G and she said the -C is ther most current hardware version Verizon offers. 

Needless tosay this is extremely frustrating news to me since I ordered an upgrade to my FIOS Service with the espress purpose of getting an N router.  My order upgrade was confirmed to include an N router and I had an install date (today) set. When no one arrived I started calling Verizon  Customer Servive and, after about 45 min. being switched among various Customer Service reps was told the above information.  Sahja said the people in the Order Dept. do not have the technical expertise to talk about router types, and even though I was told I would get a Wireless N router this was incorrect.

SHe said she could send me a new router, but it woudl be the same model as the router I currently have and woudl be Wireless N.  So I guess I bought a couple of N PIC crards for nothing.

0 Likes
Well, maybe there really is Wireless N after all......(but only for Business customers.)
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

I did a little research and found this web page:

http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=213

This looks like a Wirelss N router to me. So I called Customer Service (again) and this time was told that Verizon DOES HAVE Wireless N routers, but currently they are for only business customers, not residential. So he said he would check to see if it was possible to put an N router into a residential account.

After a few more minutes on hold he came back and said he was going to transfer my call to the Order Dept. since they were the only dept. capable of fulfilling orders. He did note that in the log of my original order there was a note that said a tech would install a Wireless N router as part of my upgrade.

The Order Dept. person said she was going to check with Dispatch and find out where the technician was, since my original order clearly stated one was scheduled to do the install of the Wireless N router. 

After anohter 5 min. on hold she came back and said no, Wireless N is only avilable for business customers, not residential. So there is apparently no way a residential customer can get a Wirelss N router other than by buying their own and connecting it to the existing Verizon Wirelss G router.

To quote Ralph Cramdon: "What a revolting development this is."

0 Likes
Re: Well, maybe there really is Wireless N after all......(but only for Business customers.)
Hubrisnxs
Legend
0 Likes
Re: Well, maybe there really is Wireless N after all......(but only for Business customers.)
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Residential customers will get a wireless n/gigabit ethernet if they order the 150mb package as you would need those capabilities to be able to support that speed.

Otherwise you will get whatever router the installer has handy when the install is done.

VZ will supply you with equipment that will provide accessto the full speed of your package.. I the customer wants to communicate faster withing their own local LAN space they can connect devices of their own choice (read wireless-n and gb ethernet) to facilitate that however they should be aware that their internet access speed will still be exactly the same as if they were using the VZ provided equipment.

I see you are the poster that had a thread a couple of weeks back about getting an N router - everybody said then it was unlikely.

Should just bite the bullet and buy your own.  I actually got a Tenda wireless N router on sale on Meritline for $15 with free shipping.  Fixed the wireless streaming issuesfrom my own internal media server immediately.

0 Likes
Re: PER VERIZON: There is NO WIRELESS N Router (period)
lou611661
Contributor - Level 1

My Verizon supplied router is N,i have M142WR rev.F,so whoever from Verizon is telling you this is full of it.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@lou61166 wrote:

My Verizon supplied router is N,i have M142WR rev.F,so whoever from Verizon is telling you this is full of it.

The rev. F is draft 802.11n only. 

0 Likes
lou611661
Contributor - Level 1

@Anti-Phish wrote:

@lou61166 wrote:

The rev. F is draft 802.11n only. 

draft or not it is still N,my ipod touch wireless speeds are insane 2 floors up from the router i am getting 24/19 wich is real good for WIFI.i could not be any happier with fios,i have had it 11 months,and never had a single outage,with cable i would average at least 5 outages in the same time frame.

0 Likes
Bixbyte
Contributor - Level 1

Hi, I have one Verizon G Router and I connected a Gigabit LAN card to one of  my Laptops and it is running at 15 to near 20.

FIOS is faster than advertised.

Much better than Comcast.

0 Likes
Telen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hum, I don't know,  The guy who just serviced my house  told me starting in a week or two there going to be supplied with

the new Mi424wrbhr3 Router and that will be the router that they are installing for all customers once its delivered to there location. In fact he is going to see that I get one. He just got a company email confirming this as fact, I have no idea if this is what your talking about but he implying this is going to be the best router they have to offer to everyone. I have not had time to research this model.

Anyone know if this the router that has the N . I might have wrote down the wrong numbers as he was reading the message to me while my dog was going nuts inside. He was telling me the specs, seemed to me this is what your talking about. Im in MD

0 Likes
lou611661
Contributor - Level 1

@Bixbyte wrote:

Hi, I have one Verizon G Router and I connected a Gigabit LAN card to one of  my Laptops and it is running at 15 to near 20.

FIOS is faster than advertised.

Much better than Comcast.

I also am getting 43/34 from the 35/35 plan,very pleased.

0 Likes