PLEASE HELP?! I have 13 devices connected to my wifi/router
MrsJohnson2
Enthusiast - Level 2
If noted lately that only getting two or three bars for wifi, and videos take forever to load. So I logged into our wif/router and there's 13 devices logged on! We should only have 4 phones 2 iPads and one computer. How do I remove them? I already changed my user name and Password, but that didn't kick anyone off. All our phones are still on there. I've been doing this past few days trying to figure out what's all the devices. Are my cables boxes hooked up to my wifi router? Even then that leaves a few more androids (we don't own one) on my wifi. I would like to kick the freeloaders off and secure it!
Thank you for helping in advance?

Nervous mother with my kids using our home wifi with unknown devices/people on it 😁
0 Likes
Re: PLEASE HELP?! I have 13 devices connected to my wifi/router
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

You need to resecure your router.

Using an Ethernet cable connect to your router at 192.168.1.1

1.  Turn of the Wifi in the settings until you have finished making changes.  This will prevent someone from spying on you during the process.    Also unplug any Ethernet cables plugged into your router except the cable you are connected using.

2.  Change the admin password for your router to something secure.  At least 10 characters including capital letters, numbers and special symbols.   You will then need to resign back into your router.

3.  Change the SSID for your WiFi radio.   

4.  Enable WPA2 security.   Use an encryption phrase of at least 12 characters and again with Caps, Numbers and  special characters.

5.  Turn WiFi back on and reconnect and cables that you disconnected.

Then using the new paraphrase  reconnect your various  wireless devices  to the network.   Tell you kids not  share the paraphrase with friends.

It may take 24 hours for clients to drop off the list of DHCP clients as the router is still reserving an IP for them, but they are not connected.

A few more advanced things you could do for security;

1.  Verify that administrative from the WAN is blocked (this is default )

2.  Set up automatic timers on the router to shut down WiFI radios at night and then turn them back on in the morning.

3.  I don't remember if WPS can be turned off on the Actiontec but if it can turn it off.

If you still have strange devices logging on then your network has been hacked

MrsJohnson2
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thank you, I'm am looking for an Etheret cable now so I can plug my laptop into the router.
I'll let you know how everything goes.
Are my cable boxes connected to my wifi? Six things on the list with a connection type Coax? But I only have 4 cable boxes.
I'm not very great when it comes to wifi/routers/computers and all that so I'm sure I'll have questions lol
I'll just follow these steps you gave me.
0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Cable boxes are not connected using WiFi.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Cable boxes will be listed as connected over coax.  Some models of cable box will have two connections per box.  Cable boxes usually have are assigned IP addresses starting at 192.168.1.100.

When you're connected to the router, you can visit the advanced stats on the system monitoring page to view the  bandwidth usage.  This can help you detect when internet traffic is active.

Good Luck.

Thank you very much for your help!
MrsJohnson2
Enthusiast - Level 2
. I could not find an Ethernet cable anywhere in my house! Lol
We all use iPads and iPhones and one laptop.

Anyway, I called Verizon they shipped me out the knew quantum modem? $9.99 a month? On top of the $50 a month for internet. I honestly really don't know much about this stuff, so I don't even know if I needed a knew one. I like the fact that I am starting totally over and secure it at set up instead of waiting a year to even log into and change the setting and password like I did with this one I have now. See I'm still learning! 🙂
I'm waiting to fed ex now!
0 Likes