Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

PS3 Network Configuration question

Jesteraron
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

PS3 Network Configuration question

Message 1 of 4
(762 Views)

Hey guys...sorry if this has been asked before. 

Here is my setup...

I have an Actiontec MI424-WR router upstairs where my office is as I have multiple computers in there.  Then downstairs I have my DVR where the coaxial is coming from the wall to the DVR and I have two other rooms where coaxial is going into set top boxes.  I also have my PS3 right next to my DVR and it is using a wireless signal to the router upstairs.

Here is my dilemma...

I want to keep my Actiontec router upstairs in my office so I can have the option of hard wiring my comptures into it as keeping the highest speed and ease of the router in my office is important.  However I found that for several games I play I tend to have some odd connection issues (very inconsistent) but in all my searching it appears to be something I can resolve by hard wiring my PS3 into my network.

My Question...

Is there a way to keep my Actiontec router upstairs but also take the coaxial that is feeding into the DVR and somehow split it so I can feed it into my DVR and also into my PS3? Maybe use another router or is there a device I can feed the coaxial into and then it can output a CAT-5 for my PS3 and a Coaxial for my DVR?

If that won't work any other thoughts? There really is no way for me to feed a long LAN cable through my walls to my PS3.  That's just not an option.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts guys!

3 REPLIES 3
ptuck874
Contributor
Contributor

Re: PS3 Network Configuration question

Message 2 of 4
(750 Views)

I dont think they have anything that could do that, but have you heard about a powerline adapter? check this out: http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-XAVB101-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B001AGM2VI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qi...

this might help 🙂 the splitting of the coax to internet, i dont think would work 😞

Jesteraron
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 3 of 4
(745 Views)

Wow! I have never heard of that even being possible! My mind is just boggled trying to understand how this works!

BTW...should I be concerned about electrical surges with something like that?

lasagna
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 4 of 4
(729 Views)

While powerline can work ... with a FiOS installation, you will find that a MoCA bridge will be a better option.   The ActionTec HME2200/ECB2200 is what you want and what I use personally.   Runs about $80 and you can get them from numerous online retailers.

Simply install a standard splitter (rate for digital networks with a 5-1000mhz rating) onto your coax, connect one output to the DVR and connect the other to the MoCA bridge.   The bridge is plug and play and requires no configuration -- it will automatically pair with your Verizon internet router and provide you with a wired ethernet port to which you can connect the PS/3.  

If you have additional devices to connect at the same location, you can install a small 5 port switch (also available from numerous suppliers online for less than $20 in most cases) and connect addition systems to the MoCA bridge.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.