Packet Loss frequently for a week?
shortnsweet1011

Hello all, I am currently experiencing a massive amount of packet loss throughout various devices in my household. The main issues are with my SmartTV and the HuluPlus/HBO GO applications. After running my own tests, I have noticed that I am experiencing a whoping 38% packet loss to Hulu and HBO, and a regular 15% loss with any website on my PC and while gaming. Several hours with Verizon has not helped solve the issue and it is becoming increasingly frustrating. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

0 Likes
Re: Packet Loss frequently for a week?
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

The first question that always jumps out for me is are the devices where you're seeing the loss connected to your FiOS router via hardwire or WiFi?

0 Likes
bejay53
Enthusiast - Level 3

By packet loss, do you mean pixelation? If so, then yes we have had severe issues all week on certain channels. In particular, it seems to affect the HD version most.

The TVs are hardwired to the router.

Atleast one channel is unwatchable. Audio is garbled and the picture is all over the place.

The others have the stripes occuring randomly over the screen. This is on all TVs.

In particular:

Fox business (617)

National Geographic (621)

Smithsonian (634)

I will be calling technical services when I get home.

0 Likes
shortnsweet1011
Both, and I pinged the connection between my PC and laptop to my router and there are no issues with either. It is only select sites/apps that I can't load at all but I do experience a small drop in connectivity every 15 minutes or so.
0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You might try changing the default DNS server in your router, or directly in your devices (if possible).

I have rarely had any trouble with my FiOS service, but recently the Amazon streaming app on my smart TV stopped being able to connect.  I wound up talking to a Sony tech support guy (it's a Sony TV) and after trying a number of other steps that didn't help, he had me change the TV's DNS setting from the default, 192.168.1.1, to Google's DNS servers, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Presto!  That fixed the problem I was having. You might give that a try too. 

0 Likes
shortnsweet1011

Thanks for the suggestion, however, it did not fix the issue.

The issue really seems to stem from select streaming services across ALL devices, whether is is wired or wireless. When I tracert certain sites (www.hbogo.com and www.huluplus.com primarily), I can get several of the hops but then all of the requests time out, all the way up to 80%.

Trying to get Verizon support to my place to see if the issue is on their end, but it has been difficult to get them here.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I hope when you do finally get a tech to make a service call they can actually see the problem you're having.  Intermittents are a nightmare to fix.

BTW, intermediate hopes on a tracert showing 100% loss, or timing out, doesn't necessary mean there's a problem.  Some servers are configured not to respond to ping packets.  If the latency of hops past that point are normal the trace is all good.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would start by checking your local connection.

Run to speedtest.verizon.net

That will test your connection to the Verizon network.

Try and do it when you notice the issues.

If that doesn't give you the speed you are paying for, Verizon should be able to use that to help troubleshoot.

If it passes, that means it could be in Verizon network or farhter down the line.

0 Likes