Packet Loss issue , 5% packet Loss , Ethernet Cable !!!! no WiFi
onemancrew

Hi Everyone ,

I encounter an issue with the Internet Connection , it seems that the Internet Connection is poor quality.

I am running a ping check to several servers.

now , lets try a ping locally , to the router which reside at my home , let verify that the Ethernet Cable which I am using is good. and as avidence look on the following image:

as you can see : 0% packet loss , this means that my personal computer and also the Ethernet cable which I am using is 100% well , again this means that the issue or the source of the issue doesnt happen because of anything which is under my responsibility.

now , lete run another ping , right now the server located in Israel.

so as you can see , again , packet loss !!

again , we are talking about physical connection through Ethernet cable , Cat6a cable , between my personal computer and the Verizon Router.

there is a problem with the Fiber Optic cable which reside on the Street

OR

there is a problem with the ISP service which Verizon provide , very low quality

OR

there is a problem with the connection between the Verizon Router and the Termination BOX which reside on my Home.

0 Likes
Re: Packet Loss issue , 5% packet Loss , Ethernet Cable !!!! no WiFi
onemancrew

0 Likes
onemancrew

and evidence that my ethernet connection through Wired cable , Cat6a is 1Gbps

0 Likes
Khaki54
Enthusiast - Level 2
Same issue here, seeing a ton of tcp retransmits from the ONT to the WAN. Any chance you are in Virginia?
0 Likes
onemancrew

I am from NJ , north NJ

0 Likes
onemancrew

want to know what ridiculous ? 

I have server at datacenter in Israel. in case I send ping from Israeli DataCenter to 8.8.8.8 , there is 0% packet lost.

again , from Israel to USA , to google , to 8.8.8.8  , NO PACKET LOST.

but , from my APT at NJ , USA , sending a packet to 8.8.8.8 , there is a PACKET LOST.

from soil of US there a PACKET LOST. this is a ridiculous !!!!

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Sounds like you have a technical problem.  Ever reboot the router or your ONT? 

0 Likes
onemancrew

Of course.

ONT was rebooted already.

Router was rebooted already.

doesnt resolve the issue.

The BIG joke here , I already spoke with Verizon Support , and I have been told that there is a chance that I can be charge in case the techincian will decide to charge me.

So , I ask the representetive over the phone , what are the criterias that the technician can decide to charge me.

The ANSWER I got from him is: I DONT KNOW.

If this is the Service Level I get from Verizon , Maybe I need to disconnect from Verizon service.

this is very low level of service.

How can I confirm to send me a technician while in the same time Verizon is not telling me if there is going to be a charge for Technician or it's going to be Free Of Charge.

this is a ridiculous !!!

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I am surprised they said I don't know.  It's pretty widely known around here as we've all talked about it before, but for an employee to say that, is pretty bad.  Basically if it's your home wiring or pc's or anything that is considered your equipment, then that would be your responsibility and if they came out and it was a faulty nic, or a faulty hub or switch that you had in the mix, then they would or could charge you.  if it was their router, or their equipment in general that was the cause, then they wouldn't charge.   If you've rebooted those things, and trouble still present, then maybe you should try switching out the Ethernet cords. and try taking isolating the equipment, or simply have Verizon come out.  I Think they offer an inside wiring plan to cover your home wiring.  I have one on my Cell phone (maint plan) and when I had DSL before FiOS, I had a Wiring plan. 

All I know is wired or wireless, I get none of what you have.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Also there is such a thing as acceptable packet loss in networking,  your first figures at 1% are WELL within that range, the 5% is also within, especially in spikes, but if you are consistently 24/7 getting 5% then that can cause an issue.

That 5% isn't even to Israel.

You get 1% packet loss to Israel (or at least that you've shown and shared with us)

you get 5% to googles public DNS which is in the states, and gets a mammoth amount of traffic. 

Maybe you should run some more exhaustive tests, I am not seeing much of a problem with 1% or at least share a little bit better data. 

if it's truly at 5% sustained then - It would be really helpful if you ran some WINMTR trace's to the Israel destination and share those screen's with us.

www.winmtr.com

0 Likes