Packetshaping / Bandwidth throttling - nvidia.com - why?
Guardian914

Why is Verizon throttling my bandwidth to Nvidia driver downloads?  That's insane.  I was getting 4.5k/sec - I had to download it using my Office VPN, to finish the download in 30 seconds, compared to 12 hours, to avoid Verizon's crazy throttling / packetshaping 

Sure, I've experienced the Netflix throttling,etc that Verizon does - and bit my tongue.. but a driver download?  Wow.. this is getting out of hand!

0 Likes
Re: Packetshaping / Bandwidth throttling - nvidia.com - why?
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I just downloaded the latest driver for my  nVidia card, 273 MB, in about 20 seconds.  During the short download I was getting ~10.4 mB/s, or ~83 mB/s with my 75/75 FiOS plan.

Verizon isn't throttling bandwidth, but you might be getting a poor routing to the nVidia server.  You could try changing DNS servers.  I'm using Verizon's DNS here but others have reported good luck using OpenDNS or Google DNS. 

Not applicable

they are either throttling or have chosen a horrible route to run through which is heavily congested, due to reports on the internet and recent discoveries it seems verizon is indeed throttling, class action lawsuits are being filed as we speak in LA and NY, just google the issue. they think the average consumers nowadays are the same ol dumb people back in 2003 and we wouldnt be able to spot these issues. if you want to get the full speed you're paying for sign up for a vpn service like VyprVPN, after connecting through that everything is working for me.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

normally a bad route, and the way that the internet works, verizon chooses your route out of their network, which is normally your first 5-8 hops. after that the internet is the wild west, but also, they don't choose your route from the server back to you.   So to really find out where the problem is you have to do a trace to the destination and a trace back from the destination.  Traceroute measures round trip latency but doesn't display round trip results.  So you're left with half the guesses and half the picture.

A lot of customers can sometimes get a new route, based on their IP,  So if you release your IP Properly and try again it typcically can help.

Give it a whirl.

1. Actiontec MI424-WR - RELEASE DHCP
  2. Click on MY NETWORK icon at the top.
    Select NETWORK CONNECTIONS from the menu on the left.
    Select BROADBAND CONNECTION (coax or ethernet) depending on your connection to the ONT.
    Click SETTINGS
    Click RELEASE
    Click APPLY
    Disconnect the router immediately to prevent it from re-requesting a DHCP lease.

Disconnect or power it down right after you do that, and leave it off for at least 5 minutes - if you turn it on too fast, you'll get on the same gateway and subnet and probably have the same problem,  make sure it's left off for 5-10 minutes before powering back up and testing.

It's at least claimed in there TOS that they don't shape traffic.

Congestion Management

Verizon Online does not affirmatively manage congestion on the network through mechanisms such as real-time throttling, blocking, or dropping of specific end user traffic. There are no usage caps applicable to Verizon Online's Internet access services.

Bandwidth is provided on a per-line (not a per-device) basis. The speed of the service may vary based on network or Internet congestion, your computer configuration, your use of FiOS TV video on demand service (VOD), the condition of your telephone line and the wiring inside your location, among other factors. Your FiOS Internet service and FiOS TV VOD service share capacity on the fiber-optic connection to your home. The capacity available for your FiOS Internet access service may be reduced if you are watching multiple FiOS TV VOD titles simultaneously.

Application-Specific Behavior

Except as noted below with respect to blocking outbound traffic on port 25, Verizon Online does not block or rate-control specific protocols or protocol ports other than for security reasons as set forth below, modify protocol fields in ways not prescribed by the protocol standard, or otherwise inhibit or favor certain applications or classes of applications of traffic on our Internet access service.

Guardian914

Thanks - it could be bad routing, but Nvidia seems to use Akamai's CDN, which should be pretty swift.  I'll give VZ the benefit of the doubt for last night - but now Steam is timing out and needs to resumed every minute or so. 

I suspect they're throttling/shaping or otherwise doing some kind of QoS, even if they say they're not.

I'm using OpenDNS - I'll see if switching has any effect, but I'm skeptical, based on the amount of complaints I see about users reporting throttling/shaping and the class action lawsuit, not to mention that whole Netflix fiasco where they were blaming VZ for performance issues and popping up a message about it, and VZ freaked out ..

0 Likes