Page cannot be displayed errors....no DNS.
smbolivar

I purchased a registry cleaner through McAfee (Winferon) which I downloaded and ran.  Since then I have not been able to access any websites, except a couple times I did get to my Yahoo page, but it would open for my emails.  I use a ZYXEL wireless router.  I've had to reconnect a number of times because it freezers and won't connect.  Once it does, it usually drops.

When I retreived my IP address in command prompt, I've gotten the IP address but it times out because there's no DNS. 

Can someone tell me how to get reconnected to the internet?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Page cannot be displayed errors....no DNS.
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

From a command prompt if you type 

ipconfig /all

Do you see your IP Address, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS have an entry listed?

By default DHCP has entered my router as shown above or you can manually enter DNS. You can try 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4 which are google DNS servers.

See if that helps. 

Jim

Re: Page cannot be displayed errors....no DNS.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Follow jumpin's instructions above so we can get stated to see what the deal is with your issue.

You need to be careful with anything that cleans the Registry. Windows is designed to work with a huge amount of empty/stale/unneeded registry entries and as such, I consider Registry Cleaning programs to be unneeded in this case, and often wind up breaking something if ran without checking over the results to know what is what. They come in handy for the fast searching of the Registry for left over entries from programs that should have removed them (which is why Revo is awesome), but that's really it. Broken links/extensions were generally an issue back in the early days of Windows (DOS Days), not so much with the NT Architecture of today which is a bit more tidy.

If we can't resolve this issue, we may have to perform a system restore to a date before the registry "Clean-up" was performed.

0 Likes