Paged Blocked by Verizon McAffe Home Network Protection
RWM534

I have Fios Quantum Gateway 100 mbs. I started having issues with certain webpages being blocked by McAfee Home Network Protection by Verizon. The warning page that appeared stated "Whoa, we flagged this site as malicious. Sure you want to go there? This site could steal your sensitive info and hijack your device with malware.". It would give you the option to continue to the site anyway, but it wouldn't actually do it. At the same time I had certain web pages that had some information stripped from it. All of the websites I had either problem with worked fine about a week ago. This was happening on all of my devices. Using my phone, I turned off it's WIFI access and used my DATA. It went to all of the sites in question and they were fine. I then used another company's internet service and all was well with that too.

I looked at the router settings, but they looked OK. I then searched my account to see if anything changed and it had. I noticed that Home Network Protection was listed as my current account setting. I never saw this feature before, nor did I ask for it. So I tried to disable it, but couldn't. I started a chat with Verizon Technical Support to have them disable it. They had no idea what I was talking about and even asked me where I saw this feature in my account. I told the where and got the response that I just needed to uninstall it from my computer. I told them I had not loaded anything to my computer and this issue was on ALL of my devices. I could tell they were operating by a "script" and asked them to actually READ what I stated. I got absolutely nowhere.

So, just for grins and giggles, I decidied to restore my modem from a restore point made a month ago. That did the trick. I'm not sure which setting on my modem caused the issue. I starting to think it was either a hidden setting or a virus, but I think a virus would be a stretch. To be safe, I imediately saved the modems configuration file to my computer. Verizon's technical support doesn't seem to have knowledge about it. If someone else has this issue I hope this helps.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Paged Blocked by Verizon McAffe Home Network Protection
jonjones1
Legend

@JSage wrote:

Care to share how your issue was resolved?

He used his prior backup of his router firmware is my guess and rolled it back to when mcafee was not placed on it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Quick answer is Verizon updated their app to include the new mcafee program. I am going to say it is activated without your consent. I use my own Netgear so Verizon cannot mess around with my router.

McAfee is one of the worst at being hard to delete or turn off. I would suspect that it will pop back on yet again in the next few days.

0 Likes
perks2

I am having the same issue. I have been T/S with verizon all day. No fix identified. Tech advised I was the second call in 20 minutes regarding this issue. 

0 Likes
perks2

issue fixed. FINALLY!!!

0 Likes
RWM534

Thanks for the tip. I've been watching to see if it comes back. I know exactly which sites cause the issue. I'm with you about control. I do not appreciate having features or add-ons activated without my knowledge. I think I'm going to look into my own router. Until then, I have the backup that's completely in my control.

0 Likes
JSage1

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@JSage wrote:

He used his prior backup of his router firmware is my guess and rolled it back to when mcafee was not placed on it.

0 Likes
jimifaze

The fix is simple. Go to your Fios app on your phone. Go to security settings. Wait a little bit for like 10 seconds. Home Network Protection selection will show up. Turn it off. Voila!!!

0 Likes
wayzo
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's more complex than that, but here is how to do it:

Go to Verizon app on your phone. Then click the ... in the upper right corner. From the pull down menu, select Account & Settings. Then select Security Settings. Then turn off Home Network Protection.

PhilliesBiz

Thanks for this tip!  I searched every link on-line with no mention on how to deactivate the Home Network Protection.  It would be nice if there was an option to add sites to a safelist or adjust the level.  As is, this service blocks sites I've used for years with no problems and it makes me less productive.  Had no choice but to disable it.

0 Likes