It doesn't matter what browser I am using on my iMac. The problem started on Friday. This has happened before. First I thought it was the Safari browser as there was an update from Apple. The only way to restart and load pages is disconnect the Wi-Fi and then reconnect to the network. This is obviously a Verizon issue and not a hardware issue. It is was a hardware issue it wouldn't have resolved itself in prior issues. It's not a sites issue either. Yahoo, Google and other sites stall and do not load. Once your on the site and try to access another page it stalls and will not load again. The download and upload speeds are fine. If a site loads it's fast.
Where are you located? Have you treied restarting your router?
Are you using the non-hijacking DNS servers or the default ones from Verizon? I have gotten inconsistent DNS speeds from the hijacking ones. I don't recall reaching Google being an issue, but it's been a while since I used the default servers. There is an outline for many of the Verizon routers here: https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/internet/opt-out-of-dns-assist
Bascially, they all come down to:
1. Find out what the DNS servers Verizon assigned to you via their default DHCP to the router (which in turn assigns them to the devices on your LAN).
2. Leave the IP address assignment to be from DHCP, but change the DNS assignment to fixed IPs.
3. Set the DNS server fixed IP addresses to those of the DNS servers you got from DHCP, but change the last octet from .12 to .14. For example, I changed my router to still get its IP address dynamically, but instead of the original 188.8.131.52, I always use 184.108.40.206. (And changed 220.127.116.11 to 18.104.22.168 as well.)