Parental Controls
sidc3000
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had Fios for years now and never had much of problem with service.  The frustrating thing is I have attempted to set parental controls many times throughout the year to block my kids from the wifi after a certain hour.  It seems to work for the first day and the just disappears from the summary.  Since I can't go out and purchase an aftermarket router that will actually do what I want it do, what is the solution?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Parental Controls
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello!

If you wanted, you could possibly replace the Verizon router with your own thats more suitable for your network (I agree the parental controls leave much to be desired).

First you need to determine how your current Verizon router is connected to the FiOS service. It will also be helpful to know if you have TV service through FiOS.

Do you have an ethernet cable going into the WHITE WAN port on your router? If so, you can most likely replace the router with your own. If you only see a coax cable coming into the router with no ethernet going into the WHITE WAN port, then the process becomes more complicated. 

Please let us know your current setup and I'll help walking you through replacing the Verizon router.

View solution in original post

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello!

If you wanted, you could possibly replace the Verizon router with your own thats more suitable for your network (I agree the parental controls leave much to be desired).

First you need to determine how your current Verizon router is connected to the FiOS service. It will also be helpful to know if you have TV service through FiOS.

Do you have an ethernet cable going into the WHITE WAN port on your router? If so, you can most likely replace the router with your own. If you only see a coax cable coming into the router with no ethernet going into the WHITE WAN port, then the process becomes more complicated. 

Please let us know your current setup and I'll help walking you through replacing the Verizon router.

uncwrestlr
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would agree with the previous customer but I have the latest FIOS router. The parental controls take one minute that don't the next. I have cleared them out to just have them go back to a setting a used a couple iterations previously. It has blocked the WiFi 30 minutes or even hours prior to the set-up time. Not barring its inflexibility to have different times for different days, it simply just doesn't do what it is advertised to do and lets me honest, there are others that have solved with this problem already with other implementations. Why can't Verizon figure it out?

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Let me ask a question, does your device name, which you are intended to block, contain spacebars and special characters?

If so, that may be the problem. Having special characters in device name violates the standard set forth by IETF RFC 952. G3100 tries to enforce this rule, which G1100 was lenient about this rule.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes