Switch Account

Parental Controls not functioning properly.

SOLVED
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Parental Controls not functioning properly.

Message 1 of 6
(4,387 Views)

I have the G1100 router. I am trying to set up parental controls for one computer on my network using a whitelist. I select the computer form the list, add a handful of websites, configure the other settings and apply the settings. The rule I created seems to block some websites and not others. It is allowing access to sites that are not on the list. Why is this happening?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Parental Controls not functioning properly.

Message 2 of 6
(4,375 Views)

If sites are protected with HTTPS or redirect to other domains, the router isn't able to effectively filter these out. 

You may want to consider turning off the Parental Controls on the router (it can slow down the Internet connection too) and use something like OpenDNS: https://www.opendns.com/

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 2 of 6
(4,376 Views)

If sites are protected with HTTPS or redirect to other domains, the router isn't able to effectively filter these out. 

You may want to consider turning off the Parental Controls on the router (it can slow down the Internet connection too) and use something like OpenDNS: https://www.opendns.com/

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 3 of 6
(4,371 Views)

Wow. So no filtering on https connections?

I did configure OpenDNS for that machine, but I wanted to use a whitelist to confine the usage to certain allowed websites. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 4 of 6
(3,771 Views)

The new FiOS router for $200 with no elementary functionality it is really sucks! 

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 5 of 6
(480 Views)

>> The new FiOS router for $200 with no elementary functionality it is really sucks!

You are absolutely right.

Highlighted
Moderator Moderator

Message 6 of 6
(476 Views)

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.