Parental control application process
PAC440025
Enthusiast - Level 1

HELP!! My teenager can bypass Verizon parental control by going into the Task Manager (of Windows Vista) and ending the Verizon Family Protection application's process it self. He has only a standard user account, but he can still stop the process, That means the Verizon application does not have good access control features built in for the program itself.

I have wasted hours talking to McAfee and Verizon tech support. But no one could help me fix this problem so far.

Thanks.

Re: Parental control application process
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you make him/her a limited user?

If so, that is what I would do.

Then verify, that as a limited user he can't stop that program.

cbwoodstock91
Contributor - Level 1

Hi,

If you click on start button hen under search type "user" you will see another box with different options,select the one "user

accounts", then will appear a separate box select the option"change your account type" then select for your son account "Standard user"

Let me know what happened

your friend charly brown

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm surporised the Verizon Parental Controls are defeated easily. It really isn't too hard to write an application to run as a Local Service and be unable to be killed while running under an Administrator account without going through the Windows Services manager or the Command Prompt.

Definitely set up a Limited User Account on the PC though, and place a good password on the Administrator account. Doing this should stop them from being able to shut down services or stop particular processes not running under their user account as a process. If the Verizon Parental Controls runs as a User Process, the next best thing to do would be to disable the Task Manager to all usergroups except for those who belong to the Administrator Group, or limit the Task Manager's capabilities down. This requires registry editing which can vary in difficulty (downright disables are simply changing a numeric value, limiting functions require more).

One thing about the Windows Administrator password is that it can be reset without even needing a Windows Disk. Just be aware of this, as a few minutes with a Bootable Linux disk with a Registry Editor loaded onto it can result in the password being deleted or changed.