Parental controls on Westell UltraLine Series3
jj14xx

Hello,

I'm trying to block certain websites at the router level (don't want to set up individual rules in IE on each PC) - went into parental control, created a new entry, entered the restricted website and left Local Host as "Any" and left Schedule as "Always"

After the website name is resolved, I click apply, and then ok.

But I am still able to browse to that website from any of my PCs - what am I doing wrong? How do I do this?

Router/Modem is Westell UltraLine Series3 (FIOS)

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Parental controls on Westell UltraLine Series3
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Step 1. Select the Networked Computer/Device for this Allow or Block Rule

here you have to make sure all the ip addresses that you want to affect are listed on the selected devices section (so you may have to highlight each ip or pc name and hit add to list)

then Step 2. Create the Parental Control Rules and Schedules.

Blocking ALL Internet Access

put the website name and then hit add to list

then you have to specify the days, if it's mon-fri you have to check all the boxes.

under times you have to put Rule will be active at the scheduled time.

and then start and end time,  make it 24 hours obviously.

make a rule name and then a rule description.

and hit apply.

this is all done within the 192.168.1.1 address under parental control in the VZ fios interface.

@jj14xx wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to block certain websites at the router level (don't want to set up individual rules in IE on each PC) - went into parental control, created a new entry, entered the restricted website and left Local Host as "Any" and left Schedule as "Always"

After the website name is resolved, I click apply, and then ok.

But I am still able to browse to that website from any of my PCs - what am I doing wrong? How do I do this?

Router/Modem is Westell UltraLine Series3 (FIOS)

Thanks!

0 Likes
jj14xx

Hello,

Thank you for your response and suggestion.

(I thought that selectig the schedule as "Always" would ensure that the rule was active all the time - maybe not)

I tried to set the days/time (Mon-Sun - 00:00 to 23:59) and set it to active - but I can still access the website that I want to block.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

0 Likes
anne

I am having the same problem. 

I want to block myspace, facebook and you tube based on a certain schedule.  I created a rule for each web-site with the schedule I wanted.  I made sure the time zone was correctly set on the router.  I have tried both leaving the device selection as Any and adding each device I want to block the website.  The rules show up as "active" at the appropriate times but I can still access the web-sites using Firefox on all machines. 

- anne

0 Likes
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

For more information

Westell Router manual  Pg-132

0 Likes