Password controlled guest accounts on wireless router
Rocking88s
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would like to be able to grant guests temporary access to my home network without giving out my permanent WEP ID.  Is there anyway that I can create a guest account, with a separate password, which I can then eliminate after their need for access is over?   I have the Actiontec MI424-WR router. 

If there is no hardware based solution to this, does anyone know of third-party software that could do the trick?

Thanks.

-R88

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Password controlled guest accounts on wireless router
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Only applicable to Quantum Gateway.

I don't beleive previous versions of ActionTec routers support it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Some routers support it but not the Verizon supplied ones.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is no way to do this with the Verizon router.   I use a second router/access point behind my Verizon router which has firmware support to provide this (it also has a Wireless-N dual band radio on it which I use instead of the one in the Verizon router).

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's simply a case of the Verizon firmware on the ActionTec router not being able to support running Multiple SSIDs and networks on the Wireless radio. I have an ActionTec MI424WR Rev. D in use at my house which I have loaded DD-WRT onto. It does in fact offer Guest netowork capabilities along with Hotspot servicing since the firmware supports it. All I need to do with DD-WRT is set up the Guest Network as a Virtual Interface on the Wireless Radio from inside of DD-WRT, and configure how the Virtual Interface will behave, apply, and within a second once the router applies the settings, the second network will show up. Can do some quite advanced stuff with the firmware, but of course do not install it on your FiOS router in case Verizon wants it back in the future, and if you are using MoCa networking. I have a FiOS router that was sitting around collecting dust which Verizon did not want back, so I used it to replace an older, failing router.

If you have an older router sitting around, you might consider hanging that router off of the ActionTec and setting it up as an AP correctly. Short of that you'll have to give your guests the Network key or allow them Ethernet access to the router.

0 Likes
lmastria

I'd love to give my visitors access to the internet (thinking esp of the upcoming holidays), but i don't want them seeing/accessing my personal stuff.

Can you provide the name and model of the device you use to create the guest network? also, any info on how to configure it (for a non-tech person) would be much appreciated. 

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lmastria wrote:

I'd love to give my visitors access to the internet (thinking esp of the upcoming holidays), but i don't want them seeing/accessing my personal stuff.

Can you provide the name and model of the device you use to create the guest network? also, any info on how to configure it (for a non-tech person) would be much appreciated. 

I use a Netgear WNDR3700 but that a lot of expensive router if you just want to give guest access.  Probably something like a Linksys E1000 would be a far cheaper solution, however you could just google 11n routers and then choose any and look at the specs to see if they support guest access.  Any new router will come with a manual or support CD that will document how to enable the guest access feature.

0 Likes
platgold36
Enthusiast - Level 2

you can use mac address based parental controls. should be more than adequate for your needs.

mdezrin

I have a Netgrear DGND 3300 (also N) and it supports a guest network. Here is the rub ... because my verizon router is in the basement, I installed this router as an access point on the main floor to expand my house wireless coverage. If it is set up as an access point, can it also be set up to provide a guest network, or do I lose that functionality when I make it the secondary access point?

Thanks!

0 Likes
DorisJDickson

I actually bought an E1000 months ago for exactly this purpose but I am having trouble figuring out how to set it up.  I piggy-backed the Linksys/Cisco E1000 to the WAN port on the Fios Router.  Plugged into the Internet connection on the Cisco/Linksys. 

I haven't been able to find where/how to set it up. 

0 Likes
milhans1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I read where the DD-WRT firmware doesn't work with MOCA.  Also, does it work with the revision I of the Verizion Actiontec routers?

0 Likes