Paying Rent to Verizon for My Own Router
TreatMeFairly
Enthusiast - Level 2

I bought a brand new router 2 months ago, and sent back my router to Verizon. I just spent over an hour "chatting" with a Customer Service Rep who got my SN from the new router and told me it was "tagged" as a RENTAL and to return it to the manufacturer and get a new one that is not a rental. Yeah. Not sure how/why I am paying Verizon for a router that they don't own and how it is "tagged" as a rental. Verizon has not given me any proof, whatsoever, to back up their claim that this is a rental. Is this a big scam? I see others have had this issue as well? What's up with this?  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Paying Rent to Verizon for My Own Router
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'd see if you can return the router.

There are STBs for sale on eBay.

Not only for Verizon but other providers as well.

No provider has ever sold their STBs.

So they are all stolen.

Some people have reported they found them in a house or apartment and figured the previous tenant left them.

Its possible that the person selling the router (be wary of people selling multiple routers) got it and didn't need it. Figured they could just sell it.

Only sure way to know what you are getting is to buy direct from Verizon.

May cost a bit more, but guaranteed to be valid.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Where did you buy the rotuer from?
Verizon? If so, then it should be easy to show them paperwork stating it was purchased.

If it was some other site, it is possible it was stolen and then sold as brand new.

TreatMeFairly
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did not buy it from Verizon. I'd like to think if i did, it would not have this issue.

I bought it through Amazon and it was brand new in the package. I have no reason to believe I bought something stolen. This also happened to me 3 years ago when I bought my own router and verizon installed it in my new house. Months later I realized I was paying rent for it. They told me it was theirs, not mine. Now that I think back on it, it's eerily familiar. 

I currently have a router. I paid for it. It's working fine. It's a "Verizon" brand. Why can't Verizon work with me to resolve this issue? What proof do they have that it's a stolen router and/or tagged as Rental when I opened it up brand new? What, really, is the problem?

I've seen quite a few posts on this subject, and with my experience (2 times in 3 years) I'm wondering if it's a complete scam that Verizon will only work with routers bought directly from THEM (at a much greater cost). I am a long-term customer and spend alot of money each month and don't think I'm being treated fairly. That's it!

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

They know if a router is a rental or stolen via the serial number and FID number off it.

they have it in their systems. 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'd see if you can return the router.

There are STBs for sale on eBay.

Not only for Verizon but other providers as well.

No provider has ever sold their STBs.

So they are all stolen.

Some people have reported they found them in a house or apartment and figured the previous tenant left them.

Its possible that the person selling the router (be wary of people selling multiple routers) got it and didn't need it. Figured they could just sell it.

Only sure way to know what you are getting is to buy direct from Verizon.

May cost a bit more, but guaranteed to be valid.

TreatMeFairly
Enthusiast - Level 2

thank you for the responses. I'm in the process of returning the router and  I may have to purchase one from Verizon so I don't have to go through this a 3rd time. But, I will continue to $hop around... I'm tired of Verizon. I find it hard to believe that Amazon has sold me 2 stolen routers in 3 years. I opened both boxes -- they were brand new. 

And --  I still question how/why Verizon can charge me rent on a piece of equiptment that they DO NOT own. It just doesn't seem right to me.