Paying for 50/25 Internet speeds
ScottF01

I am paying for the Quantum 50/25 internet speed even says so on my bill. Yet why am I only getting speeds of less than 5 up 8 down? This NOWHERE near what I am paying for...I have been on hold waiting for tech support for two hours and the verizon fios speed optimizer is just hanging at updating settings....I WANT MY PROMISED INTERNET SPEEDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Smiley Mad

0 Likes
Re: Paying for 50/25 Internet speeds
katietsa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Smiley Indifferent alot of the problem is within your pc/laptop,i had sme issues and had to go through and delte un usedprograms and clean the pc out,and it help put my speed back up.diff programs can slow it down alot and you cann maye check on clearin out disk space,i do that ,i clean mine each night honestly,but atleast try uninstalling anythin un used ectSmiley Happy

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Wireless?  If so first check your speed wired.

ShawnWCummings1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Test out with Verizon's own speed test.  That will show your on-net speed.

http://my.verizon.com/micro/speedtest/broadband/

Any off-net speed tests will be hampered by real-world traffic.

If you are determining your speed through your router's stats, that's not a good source.  Many places will limit your connection regardless of your speed.  As examples, XBOX Live, YouTube, Hulu and Netflix tend to keep the download speeds (even XBL) around 2Mbps.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

This might be helpful info. 

The best way to get your full speed (and the only garunteed way) is to hardwire your machine.

If you have a 2nd actiontec lying around, you can do that easily by hooking it up like this 

If you HAVE to do wireless for that area, then you have to realize that there are a LOT of things that interfere with the signal strength of a wireless antenna.  That router can do a potential wireless of 130mb.  BUT that is under immaculate and pristine conditions.   Everything minus's from that high point.  So:

• Distance over ten feet begins to degrades that signal
  • Each wall the signal travels through degrades that signal (double insulated walls are worse double paned windows are worse)
  • If you have multiple story's in your home, Floor's will degrade the signal
  • Baby Monitors operating on 2.4ghz range will degrade that signal
  • Blutooth devices will degrade that signal
  • 2.4ghz Cordless phones will degrade that signal
  • 5ghz Cordless phones will degrade that signal in standby mode (in standby they drop to 2.4)
  • Microwave Ovens will degrade that signal
  • CFL Lightbulbs will degrade that signal
  • Competing Wireless Routers will degrade that signal. 

So with wireless, you have do a few things to get the BEST out of it.

• Have the router elevated to the height of where the PC's Sit. That means if your PC is on a desk, have your router sitting at that same height.
  • Experiment with the router standing upright or laying flat.
  • Adjust the antenna's
  • Try to place the router in the most central spot you can (pictures below will help explain what I mean) 
  • Make sure the drivers for your wireless device are the most current drivers (check manufacturers website)
  • Experiment with channels 1, 6 and 11 in your router settings.  (instructions are below)

So here are the instructions for the last one, which I would do first.  open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it. Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel  1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.  after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also take a look at page 2 of Actiontec's Wireless PDF File.  It gives you some idea's with regards to position and orientation of where the router sits and how it can best be positioned for maximum coverage.

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/MI424WR_Rev(all)_Wireless_Networking_Guide.pdf

imageimage

mtlebomac
Enthusiast - Level 2

I started a thread here:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/FIOS-Internet-Speeds-75-35-MB-not-even-close-WIRED/td-p/5...

there are some links and if you can, TEST upload your own file to a web server, or DROPBOX.com  then download

Anyway, it's definitely pretty ridiculous that you're not getting what you paid for! Shame on VZ!

0 Likes
anonFios
Contributor - Level 2

I also have the 50/25 plan.

I just did a test on speedtest.net over wifi and got ~41 Mbps down / ~31 Mbps up.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

are you guys testing at the fios quantum site since you have quantum speeds?

http://speedtest.verizon.net/fios300

0 Likes