Re: Paying for 50Mbps, never ever get past 20's. Does anyone actually get even 35 or 40Mbps?
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

OK -just ran the HTML 5 speed tests, and they show exactly what I have been seeing.  Download speeds match the Verizon speed test (about 60 Mbps)  but upload speeds are wildly different - Verizon shows 63 Mbps, and speedofme shows only 6.5 Mbps, which is exactly what I see when I do an actual upload.

I can't get Verizon to do anything about it.  Last night, even the Verizon site tested slow - again download was normal, but upload speed showed only about 3-4 Mbps.  They had me run a traceroute and it timed out on hop 4, which the supervisor said was in Verizon's network.  They made a ticket and said that a network engineer would be contacting me, which of course has not happened yet.

This has been going on for 9 months now  😞

0 Likes
Re: Paying for 50Mbps, never ever get past 20's. Does anyone actually get even 35 or 40Mbps?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

testmy.net is also another good option to use, although they need to make the file sizes bigger on their upload test. When given the 500Mbps FiOS package, a 33MB file never gives the transfer enough time to get up to speed. It finishes before the process is complete (but it is a good indicator of scaling performance!).

0 Likes
iDShaDoW703
Enthusiast - Level 3

So what would one do if the HTML5 tests were to be way below rated speeds?

Tried the testmy.net and speedof.me tests and the download speeds are fine (~80Mbps) and uploads aren't so nice (~10-20Mbps).

Speakeast, Speedtest, and Verizon ones check out fine and I assume once they see that they'll say that's all they can do.

I'm currently on the newly upgraded 75/75 (up from 75/35).

I went through a whole debacle months ago and they finally fixed it, but Teamviewer performance never improved even though it used to be perfect - almost like sitting at home.  I connect remotely from work that runs a 100/100 dedicated line.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

To my awareness, only Verizon's Speedtest and Speedtest.net use the updated OOKLA client, and therefore any website that doesn't use this same client, can't be trusted.     I don't know of any other site that uses it, besides the two mentioned.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

As an example at speedtest.net's dreamhost server, I get 75/50 and at testmy.net I get 10/10

I would never bother with testmy.net personally, I can test real world downloads, going to microsofts website and downloading a mammoth game file or update, and see that my download speed mirrors the speedtest and verizon servers.

iDShaDoW703
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've never had download speed issues, just upload speed issues in the past which were fixed.  Or at least seemed to be the time.

I can torrent Linux freeware and it does max out my pipe.  I've just never been able to figure out what happened with my Teamviewer performance.

Although my issue is starting to veer off-topic so I'll stop after just putting this info out here.

My co-worker behind me has Logmein and 75/75 from FIOS; uploads on his tested even worse than mine using HTML5 stuff but his Logmein performance chits all over mine.

I installed Logmein on my computer and used his account to remote in and it's pretty terrible compared to remoting into his machine.

I'm on an i7-5650, 16GBs of RAM, GTX 750ti, SSD, and other stuff so I doubt it's a hardware limitation.  Recently reformatted my computer as well.

0 Likes
photodok

What you are seeing is an average speed.  If you look at the fine print you'll see that you are paying for up to 50 Mb.  If you use speednet's speed test it will only show your average, Verizon's will only show your peak, but if you go to XFINITY's site it will show you both. http://speedtest.xfinity.com/ .  You must take into account that you are probably sharing the internet in your house, laptop, desktop, phone, tablet, etc.  Having all of these connected at the same time is going to effect the speed inside your house which will directly effect your overall speed.  You will probably also notice that your upload speed is much faster than your download, at least if you are using verizon.  That is because first off Verizon offers a faster upload than others and when testing your speed most of your devices are in a state of downlaoding not uploading.  When I tested mine at XIFINITY's site my download averaged out at 36.5 and peaked at 47, but my upload averaged at 61 and peaked at 67.  Being that the my entire network wasn't uploading at the time the value of the average and my peak were a lot closer. But everyone in my house at the moment is either watching netflix or youtube while I am strolling the internet so naturally there is a bigger difference between my average than my peak.  Long story short don't feel that you are being ripped off unless you are paying $700/mo for dedicated business internet.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes