Paying for 75/35 - Consistently Getting <3Mbps Upload and Disconnects
iDShaDoW703
Enthusiast - Level 3

TLDR;

-Speed tests consistently time out or give me upload results of <3Mbps (usually <1Mbps)

-On my 3rd replacment Rev. I router with no improvement

-Technician comes out mid-day, claims it tests good, leaves; still no improvement

-Connection issues get worse (ie. intermittent disconnects/drops from gaming servers; able to get right back on shortly after the drop)

-Phone support tells brother to run speed tests, restart router; speed test results are even worse than they were before the restart

-Phone support gets us no results; tells us if we want a technician to come out again it's going to cost $80-100

Speed tests to other servers in the area (DC, Reston, Ashburn) all result in the same low speeds.

Any suggestions?  Verizon appears to be wiping their hands of the situation and saying they aren't going to do anything else.

Will technicians monitoring this site actually contact me?  It seems they avoid responding to most issues brought up in this forum.

Is it possible that the BPON, OLT, or whatever card they have me on at the CO is oversaturated/bad?  Is it possible to ask them to check, and if so, switch me to a different one or replace the bad hardware at their CO?

==========================

Like the title says; I'm currently subscribed to 75/35 and getting nowhere near what I'm paying for.

For at least the last 2 weeks (probably much longer but I haven't been checking until recently) I've been getting horrid upload speeds.  Speeds were fine when we first moved in a year ago.

01/06 - I've already had chat support walk me through the routine stuff of restarting the router, restarting the ONT, running the Speed Optimizer, checking my RWIN settings using speedguide.net (Default TCP Receive Window (RWIN) = 65700), resetting the circuit, etc.

They've also already sent me 2 Rev. I routers thinking my older router was bad, and then that the 1st replacement was a bad one as well.

Network Engineer states I have too many devices connected to the Actiontec Router.  Chat support calls me and works me to disable WiFi and remove all other devices from the router except 1 PC with a Gigabit NIC connected and received the same unacceptable speeds.  All other PCs in the house test similarly so it's not a computer/software/hardware/operating system issue.

01/12 - They send a technician out to check and he took everything off the router and plugged in his Verizon laptop.  I overheard him speaking with someone (at the CO?) and that some of his attempts to run the Speedtest timed out.  I didn't hover over his shoulder while he worked but he swapped the router out with another Rev. I he had in his truck and cleaned the fiber.

Claims he tested at 28Mbps upload and called it a day.  I did not see the results on his laptop with my own eyes although I should have asked.  This is in the middle of the afternoon mind you; not during peak/prime time hours when it matters most because who is actually home to use the Internet during business/work hours.

They claim provisioning is fine and that everything else checks out.

01/13 - I come home today and my brother tells me that he's been losing connection to XBox Live and Steam non-stop throughout the day.  My other brother claimed he was experiencing similar the night before.  I've been using mainly just my web browser so I wouldn't be able to notice any of those issues.

Phone support has him go through more of the same routine stuff (does anyone at Verizon actually create tickets and put notes in?). It gets repetitive going through the motions of doing Tier 1 testing 4 or 5 times in the span of a week or 2...  He then says there's no evidence of packet loss or any other issues.

They then tell us that if we have a technician come out again and they test at an acceptable level (what level this is, the phone technician was unable to specify) that we'd be charged the $80-100 service call fee.

I left a Steam chat window open and see that I've lost connection/reconnected to Steam ~4 times in the last hour.  I'd give Verizon the benefit of the doubt as Steam servers do act up but if it's happening to XBox Live too it points to being a Verizon issue.

Here are a few today at 8:33PM, 8:41PM, and 8:44PM EST

imageimage

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Paying for 75/35 - Consistently Getting <3Mbps Upload and Disconnects
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hello!

As per our converstation on your private support case this issue is now closed. Please let us know if we can do anything else for you. Thanks for choosing Verizon.

-Mitchell

View solution in original post

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi iDShaDoW703,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hello!

As per our converstation on your private support case this issue is now closed. Please let us know if we can do anything else for you. Thanks for choosing Verizon.

-Mitchell

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'll be interested to know the answer to this one as I'm on the same plan and consistently get speed testa that show approx 84 down and 5 up.  

As those speeds from a device behind a 2ndry router I've always thought it might be to do with the double hop which really doesn't make sense as the download speed is exactly where it's meant to be and in addition this always used to work fine up to several months ago.

Perhaps the double hop does cause some issues as from a different machine connected to the primary Fios router speedtest does show better, though at 84/20 the upload is still less than 60% of where it's meant to be.

An old Dell inspiron shows even worese on the direct connect at 22/15

0 Likes
iDShaDoW703
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi, you can see some of my follow-up posts here:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Paying-for-50Mbps-never-ever-get-past-20-s-Does-anyone-ac...

The issue is pretty much fixed.  I do notice little random slow downs here and there but after upgrading and having them install a GPON unit there has definitely been a vast improvement.

Just to be clear, I am on the 150/65 plan now and may downgrade soon as this is definitely more bandwidth than we need at my residence but they had to switch me to GPON and onto a new splitter in the neighborhood so it pointed to an oversaturation issue on the previous splitter and BPON.

If the issue comes back after I downgrade to the 75/35 I was on previously I'll update here.

0 Likes